Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Which broadhead is "better"? >

Which broadhead is "better"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which broadhead is "better"?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

its all about your equipment if you shoot low poundage use a fixed blade if you shoot a draw weight of 60lbs or more I would use grim reaper whitetail special its an expandable and it has great penetration. I have put these things through hell and in my opinion they are the best expandable on the market.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fixed

never wanted to hope the blades open when I can shoot one already fixed...have seen too many things go wrong with mechanicals.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

I have been debating about going to a mechanical but the fixed blades have served me well and they are not near as expensive.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Mechanical heads but I agree fixed are not going to fail if well made and sharp. I have had no problems with my Grim Reapers so far. Every deer I've hit has died quickly even when it's a poor shot. It's what you have confidence in that will matter most the last thing you need is to doubt your broadheads dependability.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Spike

Muzzy's rock have the great chisel point to crush bone shoots like a field tip. I've had very good luck with them only bad luck is they keep raising the price.. I was talked into a lot other brands but, kept going back to Muzzy's probably will never change now.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

never wanted to hope the blades open when I can shoot one already fixed...have seen too many things go wrong with mechanicals.

If you are shooting a low powered bow stick to fixed heads. If your bow has the power and is well tuned there are good mech heads out there that are totally reliable. 99.99999% of the "it didn't open" stories about mech heads are utter horse pucky told by people who made a bad hit; lost an animal; and want to deflect the blame from themselves. Sadly the internet is loaded with mech haters that are all too willing to let them do it.

Most mech heads operate on very simple hinge mechanisms. Take a fold from the front mech head like a Grim Reaper. For it to fail totally you would have to have 3 blades that all work independently from each other all fail to open on the same shot. The odds of that? About the same as you being struck by lightening on the same day you win the state lottery.

I have killed deer with many fixed and mech heads. I have tested many more mech heads on targets. Never had one of any type fail to open. Not only that but I am friends with dozens of other local bowhunters here in Alabama. Not a single one of them has ever had a mech head fail to open on an animal or a target. Yet the internet is ripe with stories of these guys who buy their first pack of mech heads and then have the very first one they shoot at a deer fail to open. It doesn't just strain credibility it drags credibility into a barn and sodomizes it without a tube of KY in sight. But you can believe that horse fertilizer if you want.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:01 AM
Spike

Default Which broadhead is better ?

Originally Posted by BowHuntingBK
Are the mechanical broadheads that open on impact better than the original 3 blade?
3 blade muzzy speaks for itself. http://www.buycrossbowsonline.com/home.html
Old 07-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yellow River.....Now that is a picture! Love it!

I pick my broad head by cutting surface. You hear everyone talk about mechanicals with a 2" cut which is great, but take a 4 blade fixed head with a diameter of 1 1/8 inch and you get 2 1/4 cutting surface. I'll take that cutting surface with a fixed head any day of the week. My Slick Trick Mags fly like field points out of my bow and I don't ever have to worry about them opening. Slick Trick does very little advertising but has a very good share of the broadhead market by simple word of mouth by hunters. Thats better than any advertising for me.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

I have shot Rockets since they came out 15 or so years ago. Never once had a failure in countless deer Sidewinder is my personal preference now. I shot Rage for a year or two in there but was less than impressed.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have had tremendous luck with NAP Spitfire Maxx 3 blade expandables... i was very reluctant to switch to mechanicals, but have been very happy since the switch 4 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.