Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Glasses and glare? >

Glasses and glare?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Glasses and glare?

Old 09-23-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Glasses and glare?

Unfortunately I am one of these that have to wear glasses and as usual hate it. Last year I got busted to many times while on stand from the glare off my glasses. So I started hunting without them. I could still shoot out to 30 yds without them and have a 3" group but this year I can' t see my pins or the target well enough to get a 6" group. What can I use to get rid of the glare? I have tried contacts but can' t wear them because of a stigmatism in my right eye.(Right handed also). Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks Chris
Old 09-24-2003, 02:05 AM

Default RE: Glasses and glare?

Go to a fabric or hobby shop. Find some DARK-COLOR nylon or polyester FINE MESH CLOTH. Use the PLAIN WEAVE. Plain weave strands have an aperture (opening). Check the mesh size by pulling the cloth tight against your glasses. You should be able to see through the mesh with only a very slight shading of light, and in some cases, none at all.

Also buy about 24 inches of ½" wide elastic band.

1. Cut out a " Lone Ranger" type mask without the eyeholes.
2. Tie or sew the elastic band to one side of the mask.
3. Hold the mask against your glasses, pull the elastic around your head, and size the elastic so that mask is pulled tight against your glasses. Mark the elastic.
4. Tie or sew remaining end of elastic to mask.

The mesh pulled against your glasses works just like taking a picture through a screen, or looking through a screen with binos, while standing close. You will not see the mesh. You might have very slight shading at first, but if you concentrate on your pin and target, you eventually will not notice that the mesh is on.

If the mesh bothers you, cut some horizontal slits in the mesh. This should help.

Cuts the glare and hides your eyes.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:09 AM

c903,

You have really thought this through. Thats awesome! I too wear glasses on stand, but to be honest with you, spooking deer hasn' t been much of a problem for me. I usually hunt above 18 feet and try to keep my stands pretty well hidden so maybe that' s why this hasn' t been a big issue for me. I have thought about it though. Maybe I will try the mesh thing anyhow. Thanks for the tip. Jim
Old 09-24-2003, 06:37 AM

I have been hunting with glasses for about 15 years and can' t say that I' ve ever spooked a deer because of glare !! I always wear a hat though and pull the brim down as far as I can .....to cut down on glare so I can see good.......must work !!

The d@mn things fogging up is the worst problem to me !!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:26 AM

I have used the mesh over my glasses off and on for several years. Using it depends on what stand I am using during time of day and sun position. I especially use the mesh when " still hunting."

I am a firm believer that prey tend to look for the eyes of a predator. I have been burnt on eye contact and am convinced that any glare or shine off my glasses was not solely the cause.

Also, when I say FINE MESH, I do not mean the type that is used for veils. I mean the size of the STRAND of material that makes the mesh. I would approximate the apertures (holes) to be 1/16" to 1/8" square.

Some of the mosquito head covers have a " flip down" mesh eye cover. I used to cut the eye cover off (hate mosquito net head cover) and make my mask. Cheaper to buy the material.

The mesh against your glasses will not entirely hide the sheen of the glass, but the net will diffuse the glare and definitely keep your eyes from being highly visible.

I have also used nylon camo tape to tape my glasses off and leave just a slit.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:57 AM
CG

LASIKS-Best money I ever spent!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 01:13 PM

I too wear glasses . Only time I was ever busted, was when i went without my trusty ball cap!! Had worn a watch style knit hat, Had a good buck working in from opposite way I expected( of course) , i was between him and sunrise. all was going well he never saw me draw or turn. When I bent to take my shot it looked like someone lit his face up w/ a light!!! Needless to say he didn' t hang out and made sure every other critter in the state knew I was there!!!!!. He looked almost as surprised as I must have looked!!! The most disgusted I' ve ever been, but kinda funny now?!!I now always wear a ball cap(pulled low) and a neck gaiter pulled up to my nose and WATCH THE SUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This may be of no help but thought you might like to know there are others who' ve been there. That' s bowhuntin!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the advice. I went out tonight and bought me a new head net with just the slit for you to see. It was only a couple bucks so it couldn' t hurt to try it. Thanks again for the help. Chris