Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
blazers vs. vanes >

blazers vs. vanes

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

blazers vs. vanes

Old 03-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default blazers vs. vanes

what are the pros and cons of each ? I have always shot 4 inch vanes but the small blazers have got me thinking
Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

From what I was told: (Someone correct me if Im wrong.) The short vanes and fast but less stable, so they are better for short shots. The longer vanes are more stable, which is more accurate for longer shots, but tend to fly slower.

I have shot both and prefer the short vanes... dont know why, they just seem to shoot better for me.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
From what I was told: (Someone correct me if Im wrong.) The short vanes and fast but less stable, so they are better for short shots. The longer vanes are more stable, which is more accurate for longer shots, but tend to fly slower.

I have shot both and prefer the short vanes... dont know why, they just seem to shoot better for me.

I agree. I have a lower draw weight (44#) so I go for the shorter vanes. I have switched to fletching my own vanes and adding the 6 deg helical has made an amazing difference.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm about to experiment this spring

With carbon arrows and a couple of 2" vanes.

Besides, it's a lot cheaper than a new $900 plus bow. And I won't need any primers.
I hope the added speed won't ruin my homemade target. I'm rather cheap you know.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I run blazers on everything, haven't ever had any issue stabilizing arrows out to 80yrds. I'm not 100% convinced 4"duravanes stabilize any better than 2" blazers. Feathers are a different story, but duravanes, not so much. 323fps out of a 73lb Bowtech Destroyer 350 with 395grn Goldtip XT hunters, 425grn XT hunters out of 70lb mathew monster at 280fps, 50yrds is boring, 80 is a ball.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
From what I was told: (Someone correct me if Im wrong.) The short vanes are fast but less stable, so they are better for short shots. The longer vanes are more stable, which is more accurate for longer shots, but tend to fly slower.

someone told you wrong, the "Blazers" are by far more stable than a longer vane.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot 4" vanes & feathers for years. Same set up, went to blazers last year & see no difference & I practice my Broadheads (3 blade 125 gr fixed) through 60 yds..
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you are counting inside/out X's, you won't know the difference.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a matter of information, but Blazers are vanes.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

But it's also very common vernacular that guys designate "vanes" as duravane type non-engineered, non-textured vanes, hence the differentiation. Blazer-vanes are a very different animal in terms of induced drag compared to a smooth body plasticized "vane" (duravane).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.