Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got my elk!!  Pic... >

Got my elk!! Pic...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my elk!! Pic...

Old 09-18-2003, 08:34 AM
CG

Default Got my elk!! Pic...

Well, I was on my way into my honey hole and I walk past the bones of the elk I killed in 2001 (didn' t go back in 2002 due to a large fire). I let out a bugle for sentimental reasons and down the drainage I get a response. Well a herd bull and 2 satellite bulls start having a bugling battle. I settle in above the drainage and start cow calling to see what happens. Well, I can see a small 5x5 and I can hear the herd bull going crazy but my third bull seems to disappear.....well he reappears silently 50 yards accross the drainage heading up. He' s a decent 6x6 (w/ a broken 5th point) and decide if he presents the shot I' ll take him. He walks the opposite side of the drainage and I begin to wonder if he is going to give me a shot or just leave. He gets about 30 yards above me and heads across to my side of the drainage through waist deep ferns (yes we have ferns in Wyoming). I come to full draw and when he clears some trees I cow call and he stops. I pick the spot and let the Snuffer give him the business @ 30 yards....it blew through so fast that I have ABSOLUTELY no idea where the arrow went! I couldn' t have drawn an " X" in a better spot for a hit. Well he wheels and heads straight at me! He stops at about 20 yards and turns broadside and looks back to the bottom to see what had just bit him. Sensing an opportunity, I draw another arrow (Muzzy tipped this time) and put another arrow about 4 inches below the first one (It' s the hole by my sight in the picture). He bolts about 40 yards to the right and this guy now looks like a sprinkler!!!! There is blood shooting out both sides 5 to 10 feet!! Well he' s quartering away now and being the impatient man I am (and partly out of curiosity) I put a third arrow behind his last rib and he bolts 40 yards across the drainage and craters!! While I' m boning him out I look accross the draw and see the bones from my 2001 elk......I must say that this drainage has been good to me!!! FWIW I was shooting a Mathews MQ1 w/ Easton Epics and 125 gr. Snuffers and Muzzy 115 gr. 4-blades.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my elk!! Pic...

Sweet!!!!!

If you ever need a partner to help tote meat out just shoot me an email and let me know when to show up
Old 09-18-2003, 08:44 AM
CG

Could have used it yesterday....I was by myself (I used the timer on my digital for the pic) and it took 8 hours to get all the meat out.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:50 AM

Great Picture and great animal CG

Sounded like a super hunt - good job and enjoy the moment[8D]
Old 09-18-2003, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

CG...Very nice, and great pic!! Man...3 shots...LOL, you definitely didn' t want him to go far did you? Congrats!
Old 09-18-2003, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fantastic story and great pic CG....you done good.

It' s awesome you were able to put a second arrow in your bull let alone a third, that' s incredible and very quick thinking on your part. I really respect that. Elk are incredible animals and I wish I lived where I could hunt them every year. I shot my bull in the Big Horns out of Sheridan, Wyoming...the following year, my best friend and hunting parnter book with the same outfitter and walked past the bones of my animal and he too harvested a nice bull that year, no where near my animal but I' d loved to been there, a year later...his dad took a nice bull....bunch of PA whitetail hunters scoring on bull elk...

Congrats CG, where abouts in Wyo....?
Old 09-18-2003, 09:02 AM
CG

Yeah WV...I knew he was dead especially after the second shot...but the third one was more out of curiosity than anything....I wanted to see how far my arrow would penetrate on a hard quartering away shot......the answer is from behind the last rib and wedged inthe front shoulder.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats thats a real nice looking bull.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:11 AM
CG

Rob,
I was on the Laramie Peak Range in SE Wyoming......right in the middle of a burn area.....Ridges are burned and the drainages are lush.....typical scenerio for a burn area....I' ll try and post a picture of where I shot the bull.....looks like a disaster area if it weren' t for the ferns.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go,nice looking animal,congrates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.