Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
1 Inch Broadhead too small? >

1 Inch Broadhead too small?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1 Inch Broadhead too small?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1 Inch Broadhead too small?

Shot a buck right behind the shoulder today with a 1 inch fixed broadhead. Blood was OK for 100 yards and then really bad. Tracked the buck in the snow for 2 miles and lost the track with other deer. Is this cutting diameter pushing it or did I just have really bad luck? Shot was about 23 yards from a 15 foot tree stand so the exit was a little low. But, entrance was in the text book spot. My guess is I got the first lung and clipped the other.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

1 inch i really small i think. the smallest i would probably go is 1.25-1.5 inches.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Spike

although 1" is legal most everywhere... I prefer a broad head with a 1 1/2" to 2" cutting surface. But in my opinion your arrow placement at that great an incline was a little low. Had you raised your placement of that arrow 2-2 1/2 inches at that angle you would have most likely found that deer within 100yds.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Brother sounds like you may have missed the vitals if he went that far and is still running. If you took out one lung the deer wouldnt have gotten that far. 1 inch is a little small though legal id stick with 1.5 inches. . Did the deer duck the shot maybe I have seen deer duck perfect shots getting so low maybe he ducked and your shot that was spot on from the angle tured out not so good cause he ducked low and it hit through High? Did you recover the arrow?

Last edited by BP_Niccum; 12-29-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think ya hit the vitals. I don't think a deer can go that far with a field tip through a lung.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ihookem1
I don't think ya hit the vitals. I don't think a deer can go that far with a field tip through a lung.
x2. i shot a deer with a hell razor a year ago and clipped one lung. that might be a 1.25" diameter. he went 60 yards and piled up.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

The muzzy's i shoot only have a cutting diameter of 1 3/16" and i have never had a problem.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Question Too small?

You mentioned exit wound, that suggests to me a pass through. The broad head did its job, nothing wrong there. Double lung or heart shot there is no difference between a 1 inch, or 1 plus. Dead deer.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes things just dont go as expected. Back in early fall this year I shot a doe using 100gr muzzy. The arrow entered right behind the shoulder midway in the chest and then exited. I thought to myself dead deer she wont go far. I just kept hunting in the stand for another hour before getting down to look for her. I follow a blood trail for about 100yards before it pettered out. I thought to myself dang I know that was a good shot. I started ranging out in half moon type circles with each circle going deeper in the woods. Finally I came across her, she had ran over 200 yards. She was laying on the exit side and there was a hole in her flank. I thought I dont believe this (I know I didnt hit that deer there). When I rolled her over there was the entrance hole midway in the chest right behind the shoulder. That arrow turned as soon as it entered her and came out the flank. Never had that to happen before.