Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
January bow hunt >

January bow hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

January bow hunt

Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Spike

Default January bow hunt

I have always deer hunted with a rifle and never hunted past mid November but with no deer this year I am going to get the chance to bow hunt in early January is there a realistic chance of actually putting a deer on the ground, or am I just sight seeing

The hunt will be in Kentucky
Old 12-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's a good chance of killing a buck in Jan, ecpecially if you can find a good food source to hunt. Bucks are in their worst shape of the year comming off of the rut, and need to get some nutrition. It's the one thing on their minds at this time of the year.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Spike

yes you can kill a nice buck in January with a bow but pay attention to details. I am not sure whether it is the lack of leaves on the trees or the crisp air or both but I find deer will pick you out of a tree much easier this time of year than in the fall. The wind will help with your scent but watch your movement if you do not have a tree with good cover. Good luck
Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Spike

Its all about the experience. I call it the jazz... and after 47 years of slinging sticks I still get all Jazzed up when the season comes around!!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't used a gun to hunt with in over 25 years and I don't miss it, plus you are matching wits with the deer. In my opinion this is giving the deer his best chance of besting you... he's within 40 yards your heart is beating out your chest your arm is shaking and you have to get your s==t together and seal the deal, NOW THAT'S THE JAZZ
Old 12-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

One more thing you have to watch for are shed bucks. If you don't want to kill a buck without antlers, be careful!!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

These guys are hitting the nail on the head! you got a good chance and the colder it is the more there moving about and the longer they will try and feed. Find Good feeding area and wait they will come.

Good Luck And keep us updated!

Niccum
Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Wink Late December/Janruary Bow hunts

I've posted this on the site before, how I hunt the late months. This advice won't help this year, but will for years to come: I gather as many acorns during SEP (or whenever they're dropping), and store/freeze them for December. I actually go into town and ask the residents with Oaks if I can rake them up! They can hardly contain themselves while screaming "please help yourself"! I'll freeze up a good 40 gallons every season. I have a stand in a white oak, I just spead out 2-3 gallons a sit. IMO, you really don't need an Oak tree they will find them, and continue to return anywhere you decide to spread them out. I also purchase a acorn scent w/musk and disperse about twelve drops at 3' 360 degrees around my stand. Its been quite awhile since I've had to hunt past 15NOV (tagged out) but I still do it just in case every season, no shortage of buddies that know I do this blowing up my phone in hopes of a few gallons. GOOD LUCK!!! STAY WARM!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting strategy with the acorns. I will definitely try this next season. Thanks!