Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Getting back into Archery, what to get? >

Getting back into Archery, what to get?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting back into Archery, what to get?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Spike

Default Getting back into Archery, what to get?

I haven't archery hunted in years as I graduated college and my work has kept me away from being in the woods in archery season. I'm a construction surveyor and my work slows down in the winter so I'm able to rifle hunt but I enjoy archery the most.
I have taken a new job which allows me to be closer to home and I should have time in the afternoons and weekends to hunt.
My question is what equipment should I get? My old bow is outdated, shot aluminum arrows and whatever have you. I want to know what's best out there. I see Gander Mountain has ready to hunt packages but I also want to keep the local archery shops in business. What bows are best out there and what accessories should I get?
I'm excited and can't wait for season next fall, I just got some new trail cams and can't wait to see what turns up. I'll be the only one hunting archery on our 300 acre tract as my family only rifle hunts so I can't wait to see what I can get in the early season.
I don't know if it matters what kind of terrain/ground is around the area but it's heavily wooded, laurel, rhododendron, red berries what have you. It's an awesome piece for both bear and whitetail.
Thanks, I'm just trying to get some ideas of what products everyone is using and what they prefer over others. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Carbon arrows are pretty much the norm now days. As far as bows are concerned everybody will have a different opinion, I shoot the mathews switchback xt but i dont think mathews has come up with a "epic" bow since the xt. I did get a chance to shoot the pse evo and revenge at a archery shop about a month ago and i can say that pse has come a long way!! Your best bet is to go and shoot different bows and see which one floats your boat. Broadheads all depend on the shooter, i feel that all of them will kill, it just depends on which style you like best. I shoot the muzzy 3-blade because they group and fly nice out of my bow and they are cheap and they simply work. Hope this helps. good luck !
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

What's best out there? You could start some good debates with that one. Best recommendation I can give you is go to your local archery shops and pick their brains. If they have a problem with you asking questions then go elsewhere with your business. Pretty much all the bow companies have good products. You need to try out some different bows and choose the one that is in your price range and that you like the feel of how it shoots. Most companies have package deal bows but take into consideration whether or not you will be upgrading to better accessories on bow anytime soon. If so then you might be better of buying a bare bow and adding what you want to it. As for the accessories, they range from inexpensive to very expensive so you might be better off asking about sights, arrows, rests, releases......on separate posts. Don't be afraid to ask. There is a lot of experience on this forum that will be willing to help you out.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buying a new bow is an impossible task. It depends on the archer; how experienced; how much the bow will get used; if you can and enjoy practicing to spread the cost out; how much you can spend on a bare bones bow and all those extras.
A lot of bow companies that fill the bill. Some cater more to the beginning or intermediate archer. Some companies specialize in the "real serious" archers who demand the best of the best.

Everyone is different. When I got back into archery, I had no idea if I could shoot longer than a month. I was prepared to resale some of the items, but I needed a low cost bow. The draw lengths were fixed and I had grown into the largest draw length usually available. The salesman had a new bow that had been passed around. It was a long draw length. The grip on that bow needed my hand that palmed basketballs. It was perfect for me.

I still have that old bow. I keep it for its memories. It's slow but will still harvest a deer at 20 yards. Some things hardly cost anything.

Last edited by Valentine; 12-19-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

id look into pse bows, gold tip or carbon express arrows, and G5 broadheads.