Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First Time Bow Hunter Needs Advice on Arrows >

First Time Bow Hunter Needs Advice on Arrows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Time Bow Hunter Needs Advice on Arrows

Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Spike

Default First Time Bow Hunter Needs Advice on Arrows

Hello,

As the title says, I'm about to order my first bow and I'd like to order some arrows and points with it, in addition to anything else I might need to start practicing at home.

After several days of researching bows, I decided to go with the Bear Encounter RTH Bow Package. I'm going with the right handed 70 draw weight version. I'm also going to add on the Square Up Sight Aid, which I hear helps improve accuracy quite a bit.

I'm also planning to use the Scott Mongoose NCS Release.

What I don't have a clue about is arrows and heads. There are many to choose from. I plan to hunt White Tailed dear, feral hogs and other wild boar (which is why I chose the 70 draw weight), and Elk.

Can anyone recommend some good starter arrows and points for both practice and hunting as well as some good backyard targets?

Thanks.

Last edited by scotchlover; 12-17-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Spike

I've been using carbon express maxima hunters 350, and I have been using rage chisel tip Broadheads. I love em. The arrows are a little pricey about $80 for half dozen, but I feel they are worth it. You can get practice tips from rage, so you don't dull your real BH while u r sighting in with them. For normal practice just get a regular Field Point, the rages fly pretty true to them anyway so once your bow is tuned there shouldnt be much difference in arrow flight. As far as targets I have a block target that I picked up at Dicks for about $60, it has lasted me a few years
Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Spike

Please excuse my grammar, editing skills, capitalization, punctuation, spelling and what ever else. I'm typing on my phone
Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

I have been shooting easton excels and like them alot but they are no longer availiable. Going to be switching to beman ics hunters, I have a friend that shoots them and really likes them strong and accurate and not over priced. My choice of broadheads would be shuttle ts black ops or bass pro's fixed head blackouts this is what I will be using next year, have been shooting triton wac ems but the blades chip easily in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

beman ics hunters for sure. cant go wrong with them. they are just under 100 for a dozen.
as far as broadheads go, if you want fixed, go with muzzy. if you want expandable, go with rage. G5 is also a great brand of broad head to look at.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Easton full metal jackets. Little pricey but worth it. Rage 2 blade broad heads.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Spike

Easton axis fmj's topped with a 2" shwacker and a well placed shot and you'll be bringing home the venison. The straightness of an arrow is very important as well as the spline. I customize arrows and my opinion in the matter is that no matter which arrow you go with, the spline if your drawing 63 pounds or under is okay to shoot an arrow of 400 (250 for carbon express)... 64 and up get a 340 spline (350 for carbon express), The straightness of the arrow should be no less than.0035 for carbon express a.003 in easton and most others. The grains per inch if you will be shooting from the ground or thru small shooting windows Should not go below 8.5 to 9.5 if you are in a tree stand or have larger shooting windows in which you will be shooting thru in my opinion should be 9.3 and up. Remember the heavier the arrow the greater kinetic energy it will have at impact. It is also better to shoot an arrow of around 9.0 grains per inch or better for the longevity of your bow limbs. This is only my opinion on this matter but with 47 years experience this is my well formed opinion!

Last edited by randy3oo3; 12-28-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Do you have a Archery shop or Bass pro around you? I would head into there and get what you want already ready to shoot and measured to you. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot easton full metal jackets and rage two blades, I shot a hog at twenty yards right in the sweet spot and had a complete pass threw. The fmj's are really tough and you combine them with the rage two blades and you have a lethal combo.