Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 On average how far will buck run after >

On average how far will buck run after

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

On average how far will buck run after

Old 09-16-2003, 03:22 PM

Default On average how far will buck run after

being shot with an arrow in the vitals (both lungs)?
Old 09-16-2003, 03:24 PM

Default RE: On average how far will buck run after

I' m waiting for someone to give you a definitive answer Could drop on the spot or go for 200 yards, it varies on every deer.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never in about 20 some deer of my own that have been double lunged, and dozens more of my friends, seen a single deer that was TRULY double lung shot go farther than 100 yards.

Probably the average distance any of my double lung shots made it was around 40 yards. A few make it to the 50-60 yard range, some under 20.

If someone is telling you their deer went 200 yards or more, or worse yet never found with a " Perfect" double lung shot then there is more to the story.

I agree deer are amazing animals with an incredible will to live........take out both lungs with a broadhead and they are done VERY quickly.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best way to find out is take a few deep breathes then hold your breath and run like the dickens, when you have to take a breath stop and turn around and see how far you have gone.

In all my years of hunting I have had only 1 animal go 40yds with both lungs punched out that animal was a Water Buffalo.

If someone is telling you their deer went 200 yards or more, or worse yet never found with a " Perfect" double lung shot then there is more to the story.
My thoughts exactly
Old 09-16-2003, 04:50 PM
AK

I' ve had dbl-lung hit deer travel from 25 yds 400 yds, with 50 to 100 being the average. The 400 yarder made it that far crossing open fields.

One small doe actually managed to run 1/4 mile. After shooting it through both lungs once, it stuck around long enough for me to shoot it twice more within 20 or 30 seconds. Had I stopped shooting after the first arrow, I suspect it would have keeled over dead in front of me. However, after taking two hits through both lungs and one superficial hit, I suspect its adrenaline shot high enough to keep it moving. Field dressing confirmed the hits.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:04 PM

When a definitive gauge is established that gives the exact or near exact maximum distance a deer will/can run in accordance with a wound received, I will be first in line to purchase one.

Just think: The standard shows that a buck hit through both lungs can only run a maximum of 40 (flat) yards.

Stick a rod in the ground where the buck was hit, tie a forty-foot cord on the rod having a swivel loop, hold on the end of the cord and walk in a circle while marking with line chalk, search only the area inside the 40 foot marked circle. If the buck is not in the circle, he did not die and will be back another day.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

From my experiences the norm would be inside 60 yards on a deer that runs off full speed (using all oxygen in it' s lungs faster). I did shoot a doe once that had no idea what happened and she just trotted off traveling a little over 100 yards before dropping. The more oxygen it consumes in it' s departure the faster it goes down.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

c903,
Your idea about the cord....while tongue in cheek really isn' t too far fetched if it was possible due to all the trees and such getting in the way, but if you could magically extend that chalk circle to say 100 yards and your " Double Lung" deer isn' t inside that circle, from my experience you aren' t dealing with a " deer that will be back another day" (and I know that was tongue in cheek as well), you are (from my experience again) simply forced to accept the fact that something other than your " perfect" double lung shot has occurred and you' d better start assessing what to do next.

Old 09-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pretty much agree with Matt/PA.

I am almost to 100 bow killed deer, between whitetails and mulies. Probably 75 of them have been square through both lungs. I have yet to see one shot like that make it 50 yds.

Had a couple that I thought were hit right that went for quite a distance.
Funny how that arrow does not always hit where you thought it did!

I would guess my average for double lung hits is about 30 yards.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had a couple that I thought were hit right that went for quite a distance.
Funny how that arrow does not always hit where you thought it did!
Aint that the truth!

Whats even more amazing to me is having a deer go 75 yards with a hole clean thru his heart! Anyone else have a heart shot deer go that far?

Quick Reply: On average how far will buck run after

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.