Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
ideas on what i could of hit? >

ideas on what i could of hit?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ideas on what i could of hit?

Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Spike

Default ideas on what i could of hit?

Hey guys , this afternoon i shot a buck. He was hard quatered away at only 10 yards.... I let the arrow fly and it deflected off a branch and all i saw was my fleching between his two hind legs in him. he ran about 20 yards and stopped. Obv in pain, but is this deer dead? i let him sit. did not chase.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

maybe clipped an artery..did u find ur arrow? any blood or hair? maybe track for 20-40 yards and see what kind of sign u come up with..or wait till the morning..good luck keep us posted
Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

So, effectively, you're saying you shot him in the butt, right? If that's the case, that deer is going to die--how fast or slow is a guessing game. Could be many hours but he's not going to recover from having his intestines shredded by that broadhead.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Spike

arrow was still in him going up, below his butt along side his gentials.. best way i can describe it
Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

IF,the arrow did not pierce hide with broadhead exiting and eventually falling out broadhead side,
He is in trouble. He could drop on it or roll,try to bite it ,but if its inside under hide the arrow should act like a knife handle. If blades entered razor sharp it would help but treating him as a gut shot seems best recourse. In morning tracking would show plenty of blood if a ham pierced,foul stuff if guts. Sure would expect to find him after some no fluid tracking for a short distance but sounds like a dead deer. Good luck and remember a pic!.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck with that one. You might want to consider waiting for a better shot angle next time.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that deer is dead but I would give him a while though.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like a. Gut shot . Give it time the deer will be dead in hours . Try recovering in morning
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

If the deer is gonna die from that wound, it's already dead. You just have to find it before the coyotes do and that won't be very long!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds to me like you shot it in the butt.. That is not very good. But if you wait and give him time he lay down and hopefully stiffen up. he may take a couple of days to die so if I was you I would be looking for it today. Hopefully he has stiffened up some and will allow you another shot if he was hit in the butt that is.