Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand height

Old 10-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have one stand site that's only about 15ft, but my other stands are 20ft to 30ft. It's so important to stay out of their peripheral vision.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a hang on stand.
So I can only go as high as the number of climbing sticks I'm willing to carry in will let me.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to get pretty high. I have a 30' pull rope, and frequently will have it taut before I am done climbing. Usually stay at, or around 25', though. I only hunt from ladder stands during gun season. The lowest of any of those, though, is 18' to the platform. The higher you can get, the less chance you have of being busted...being seen, or smelt.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Spike

I hunt out of a climbing stand because they are easy to move and they are more comfortable than any ladder stand I've ever hunted out of. I would say 95% of the time I am 25 ft. or so. I feel at that height, you are out of their sight and it helps cut down on them busting you by smell.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
I like to get pretty high. I have a 30' pull rope, and frequently will have it taut before I am done climbing. Usually stay at, or around 25', though. I only hunt from ladder stands during gun season. The lowest of any of those, though, is 18' to the platform. The higher you can get, the less chance you have of being busted...being seen, or smelt.
^^^ This exactly.

I will add that while I prefer 20 - 25 feet, the height I climb to is always cover dependent. There are times, in certain areas that have thick cover, where 15 feet is as high as you can go and still have anything resembling a decent shot. There are other times when my 30' bow rope is pulling my bow into the air before I get to decent cover. It just depends on the situation, really.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Spike

I climb as high or as low to provide me with the best cover. Right now im hunting out of a tree surrounded by pines. It also gives me great pine scent to cover me. My shooting window is about 11 or 12 feet high
Old 10-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by concordmountaineer
I climb as high or as low to provide me with the best cover. Right now im hunting out of a tree surrounded by pines. It also gives me great pine scent to cover me. My shooting window is about 11 or 12 feet high
I agree 100%, I climb to where I have the best cover and/or the best shooting windows. The later in the season the higher I go because I loose the leaves to conceal me.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is there perfection?

Anyone using a ladder stand has to pick a location best for the ladder stand. One size doesn't fit all locations.
Using a climbing stand, I used the leaves on trees, the one I climbed and the nearby surrounding trees, to provide cover rather than taking a lower or higher place for the stand first.

And if what you do isn't working you change. You have to adjust to the deer; not adjust to yourself.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

16-20 ft, usually.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Banned

i have a 30 foot rope and on many occasions in the climber i have went until i lifted my bow. if it is a hang on stand 15-25 feet depending on the tree and cover. ladder stands, i use 20 foot ladder stands. in reality the platform is like 18ft