Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When to grunt?

Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default When to grunt?

I am new to bow hunting and was wondering if anyone blind calls with a grunt tube or waits until a buck is sited? If so when do you start in the AM?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

i will blind call right at dawn and dusk, about 5 min before its to dark to shoot just to see if anything will come, and they have before. Other than that i only use a grunt tube when i see a buck that wanders out of range or is headed the other direction to try and get them in distance.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

usually works during rut here..if the dont like the snort/wheeze, then i throw a bleet..usually if they dont like one, they want the other. i never had much luck out of the rut.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
i will blind call right at dawn and dusk, about 5 min before its to dark to shoot just to see if anything will come, and they have before. Other than that i only use a grunt tube when i see a buck that wanders out of range or is headed the other direction to try and get them in distance.
This is how I use a tube as well. I'll use the Can more often than a grunt tube though.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

My experience:
Blind calling with a grunt usually produces younger deer (spikes & fork horns) and it works best as other said, right at sunrise / sunset.

Grunting at a buck during the rut will usually turn him unless he is locked with a hot doe. I've had better luck using a snort wheeze, especially if the buck is with a doe during the peak of the rut but that buck will usually not wander far from the hot doe.

I have had very little luck blind calling 140+ class deer, my thought is they don't get to be that age without limiting the number of chances they take.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-22-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by *twodogs*
My experience:
Blind calling with a grunt usually produces younger deer (spikes & fork horns) and it works best as other said, right at sunrise / sunset.

Grunting at a buck during the rut will usually turn him unless he is locked with a hot doe. I've had better luck using a snort wheeze, especially if the buck is with a doe during the peak of the rut but that buck will usually not wander far from the hot doe.

I have had very little luck blind calling 140+ class deer, my thought is they don't get to be that age without limiting the number of chances they take.
This is my experience as well. I would lower the class deer that respond to about 100", though. Maybe 110".
Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe its just me, and Im no expert... But I call in more bucks with rattling than I do with grunting.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Maybe its just me, and Im no expert... But I call in more bucks with rattling than I do with grunting.
For bigger bucks, I agree totally. I have never had a buck over 120" come running over a grunt call, but have had several large bucks come immediately to rattling.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Myself, I have found that rattling will make a more curious buck come in before the grunting and bleats.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

I grunted at a big 8 this morning and all he did was perk his ears and walk away... Maybe its a little early, but he was only 70 yards away and wouldnt come any closer. Grunting didnt do squat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.