Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When to grunt?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmm. When a bucks leaving/headed out of range. Not if he heard me and is investigating.
Twice when heading into stands,once when a deer (massive buck)got to its feet in pines with only legs visible,and another when i broke a branch ,(but it was under the leaves!) I grunted and both deer came in fast to check me out.
Thing i found with grunt calls. When imitating an older/dominant buck i,ve had other bucks tuck tail like a scolded dog and sneak away. So my preferred is young buck tending doe if after bucks. For doe its fawn bleats and doe contact calls back to back. Would rather rattle ,easy does it tickle,than blind grunt. Personally feel much rattling needs other noise with it.
While most fights don,t last long, i missed the chance of a lifetime video opportunity battle of titans knocking brush and throwing ground cover for a good ten minutes. Heard them coming a long ways off. No grunting heard once fighting started.