Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke"  ? >

Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Old 09-14-2003, 01:49 PM

Default Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

I was visiting over on Archerytalk.com,and in the Bowhunting Forum,there is a link to a Article,that really open' s one' s eye' s,as to the effectviness of the Scent Retaining Clothing.A Good Read.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Why not provide us the link here so we don' t have to waste time traveling to that site to get another site.....I don' t necessarily doubt it' s effectiveness however I do know it means nothing without containing the head and breath....but I didn' t read the article.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/...cent_suits.htm

Here' s the link Rob, interesting reading, but I for one do not take this " Study" for gospel. After reading the article, the " Comments" section at the bottom are EVEN MORE interesting.
There are some " Scientific" reasons given in the comments that directly contradict what this guy is saying. Especially the one about the adsorption of Sulfur somethig or other.

My own views? How can it possibly hurt? I planned on picking up a new set of Scent-Lok liners and hat this week, but after reading the informed an intelligent response copied below by a Robinsonlabs/Scentblocker representative, it sounds like they understand what they are doing just fine! Maybe some Scentblocker SLT is in order? Either way I' m getting some.
It appears that " scientific study" isn' t as scientific as it sounds after reading that response. A " scienftific study would deal with the exact properties and materials in question.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:24 PM

I believe for the most part it' s a gimmick. I' m like Rob, without the head and breath, and bow, and stand, and back pack, and etc, being completely scent free, it' s a waste of money. Just play the wind, it' s free.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:30 PM

This was part of another thread.
Here' s a reply from Robinson Labs:
The high reactivation temperatures people are reading about refer to complete (totally purged/desorbed) reactivation of carbon filter media that are used for adsorbing industrial/hazardous waste. In some cases with these types of material, chemisorption occurs, which creates a chemical bond between the materials being adsorbed and the substrate. To desorb these types of materials does require very high temperatures, equivalent to those initially required to activate the carbon (in the range of 800 - 1000 degrees C.
However, human odor consists of a mixture of volatile and high boiling point components - amines, aldehydes, and sulphur compounds. The high boiling point compounds come from bacterial action on fats and are typified by Butyric Acid. They tend to come mainly from the armpits and upper torso, while the volatiles come mostly from the groin area. These materials are physically adsorbed by carbon, not chemically adsorbed. In physical adsorption there is a van der Waals interaction, which have a long range, but are very weak. Physical adsorbtion is a relatively low energy process, easily reversible, rapid, and non-specific in the molecules it can capture. What this means in layman’s terms is that physically adsorbed molecules (e.g. human odor) can be readily desorbed (removed) with the modest heat levels found in residential tumble dryers.
Perhaps the biggest misconception is that we often refer to reactivation, when we should be calling it regeneration. Technically, reactivation is the act of restoring adsorptive power to a spent carbon by a process similar to the initial activation process, which does occur at high temperatures. Regeneration is any process which restores adsorptive activity by desorbing the adsorbed substances, which is exactly what we’re doing with our carbon suits in our dryers.

Keith Edberg
Robinson Outdoors
Old 09-14-2003, 08:39 PM

I have just read the article and maybe scent suits are BS, but I' m not a scientist and really I don' t care. All I know is that I' ve been wearing them since I started bowhunting(5 years now) and have had many, many deer down wind of me and I have NEVER been busted yet. You can give me all the articles that you want saying they don' t work or don' t work as well as they say, but I would never be caught out in the woods without one. It is just one little part of scent control for me. The single cam bow was/is somewhat of a gimmick too or atleast had a ton of hype and most of us shoot one now.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:48 PM

I would like to see a " scientific" study with whitetail deer using hunters who do and don' t wear the suit. Until then, I' m not coughing up $300 for suit. I don' t wear a suit and I' m not overly concerned with scent control and I rarely have deer wind me (that I' m aware of).
Old 09-14-2003, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve never used a " scent lok" type anything, and have had Many. Many deer downwind of me too, with no bad reaction. I' m not saying they cannot work - I tend to think that at least for some period of time the DO WORK to some extent. However, a good hunter will ALWAYS play the wind - suit or Not.

Before you run out and buy one. Set up on a spot (NOT YOUR BEST SPOT) but a spot with a reasonable chance of having a deer come by - BUT set up on the upwind side of where you expect the deer to come from. I think most will find that 50% of the time - downwind deer will have little or no reaction. Also - other times - you will have a clear shot, at a curious deer, that knows " something' s not right" - maybe 25% more . Thge other 1-4 times you get BUSTED - Maybe by wind, smell, movement, who knows.

Old 09-15-2003, 03:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I aint wasting my money , I take the natural smells in the area i,m hunting and use them. Every plant has a smell when crushed. Dirt even smells.My favorite is skunk cabbage in the swamps.I wipe all sorts of crushed vegetation on my clothing,except poison.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to look at scent containment clothing as another tool in my arsenal and not necessarily as a " must have" . I have yet to wear any scent containment clothes into the woods each fall and yet I still manage to harvest deer. I do not doubt their effectiveness in reducing human scent but question whether it is necessary in most situations when the hunter plays his cards correctly.

Quick Reply: Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.