Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
beginner looking to buy a new compound bow??? >

beginner looking to buy a new compound bow???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

beginner looking to buy a new compound bow???

Old 10-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Spike

Default beginner looking to buy a new compound bow???

hey guys im looking to get into bow hunting for the first time as ive always hunted by a rifle for the last few years in my hunting career...I came across a buckmaster compound on craigslist for $100 and I am just wondering if this would be a good buy...ill post a picture of it and then hang up and listen
thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails beginner looking to buy a new compound bow???-bow.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a little more you could do alot better, but maybe not this time of year. If you had to replace the stings on that one, you pretty much just doubled your cost. If you go the Craigslist/Ebay route, make sure you know your draw length first. Check the classifieds here and other archery forums also.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't get that one, but I am sure it will work. As previously mentioned, you could get a vastly better bow for just a little more money. And, yes, figure out your draw length first.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Check your local archery shops alot of times they have used bows that were last years models and you can pick one up for cheap.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Brandon, First you need to know your draw length, after that you should shoot several Bows by different manufactors. Then get one on your budget, remember that the bow is only 1 piece of the puzzel and you will need left over cash to purchse other stuff ! We do not know much about you to really say what bow to get or your situation. We can only say is that bow would probably kill Deer as well as the Fastest,newest gotta have it Bow on the market.

Hope this helps,
CVG Ohio
Old 10-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Draw weight is as important as draw length. Pay attention to both of these features.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

You can look into package deals also, some manufacturers like diamond by bowtech or Mission have good deals. Plus everything that was said previously about draw length and weight.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by early in
Draw weight is as important as draw length. Pay attention to both of these features.
+1. You don't want to over-do it on the draw weight area either. The best bow for you is one you can shoot well.

I would look into a bow package - it should complete with just about everything you need to shoot. I would buy a new bow, personally, but there's nothing wrong with a used bow in good condition.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Spike

Look for a diamond edge adjustable draw length and weight I used mine for 5 years shot a doe quartering away arrow made a complete pass through. Get something your comfortable with and can shoot sitting down. Remember aim small miss small
Old 10-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Spike

you can do much better than that bow. Go get fitted for a bow first, then try and find a used one that lines up with those fitting numbers. There are bows that are light years better than the bow pictured above & you won't have to spend much either. Keep looking & keep learning before you toss your hard earned money in the garbage.

Enjoy the quest...