Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Public Land MD Doe 10/6 - Updated with pics >

Public Land MD Doe 10/6 - Updated with pics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Public Land MD Doe 10/6 - Updated with pics

Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Public Land MD Doe 10/6 - Updated with pics

Shot my first deer with a bow in 3 years this past sat. Was in a newer spot but only about 150 yds down from a tree I had been using.

Was on the inside corner of a corn field in a small strip of woods with an open semi-marshy are next to it. As a bonus I realized there was an apple tree about 10yds away.
Had one doe come through about 5. Looked like something had spooked her. Came within 40yds but no shot.

Had another doe come in from the marshy area at 6:15. I drew back as she went behind a couple trees and one that I had ranged already at 23 yds. She was probably right at 25. I centered in between 20 and 30yd pin behind her shoulder and released. The impact was not good. She was looking around when I shot, but it wasn't becuase of me, but she ducked the shot really bad. Hit high and back and as she took off the arrow was basically sticking halfway out almost vertical from the top of her back.

I think the arrow hit the bottom of her spine and deflected straight down through the paunch. She only went 20 yds or so and saw her go down. 3 blade Rage did the job on a poor hit. This is my first experience with a deer severly ducking the shot.

Was a late night getting her out from about a mile in. But turned out much better than it could have.

She came from the middle of this pic and took the shot after she passed behind the doubled trunked tree on the right side of the pic.

Last edited by marshall9779; 10-08-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

A good broadhead helps make a bad hit have a good outcome for sure.Looking forward to your picture,good job getting her home so enjoy the fruit of you labor wraped in bacon on the grill.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Updated with pics.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Good job man!! I can just taste mine now!!! gotta shoot her first!!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are quick, thats for sure... Good job......
Old 10-09-2012, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good eating size for sure,those 100lb. after gutting Does are yummy some of my best eating.Congratulations!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

very nice... she'll eat great... congrats...
Old 03-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

I shot 2 doe this past season. The first was in October and the second was in December. Both were shot with my Mathews Legacy bow with a 3 blade Rage broadhead. The first ran only about 40 yards and was done. I saw
her go down. The second, I hit a little back and decided to leave her over night. It was a good decision because my brother and I found her the next morning after only maybe 10-15 minutes of looking. First one weighed 136 lbs and the second was 134 lbs. No bone to hang on the wall but lots of venison for the winter.