Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How would you handle this situation? >

How would you handle this situation?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How would you handle this situation?

Old 09-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, what I did do was fill out the tag and sent in a deer kill card. After all, I did kill the deer. I didn't chance the meat though. I still have 2 antlerless tags left.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by early in
Well, what I did do was fill out the tag and sent in a deer kill card. After all, I did kill the deer. I didn't chance the meat though. I still have 2 antlerless tags left.
I think you did the right thing. It sucks when things like that happen but you make the best of it and move on. good luck with your other tags.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

I would have done what RIStrutStopper mentioned. It's just a simple phone call. Did it before on a nice 10pt. They wouldn't let me keep the rack though.

Last edited by PREDATE; 09-28-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If nothing else you found some good coyote hunting area. Its just a deer, you can get more of them. Dont sweat it, I wouldnt have wasted a tag on it though. I had a wolf take a deer after I shot it. I could still see the deer, and a big black wolf ran after it. I guess its not my deer until its in the truck.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by furgitter
If nothing else you found some good coyote hunting area. Its just a deer, you can get more of them. Dont sweat it, I wouldnt have wasted a tag on it though. I had a wolf take a deer after I shot it. I could still see the deer, and a big black wolf ran after it. I guess its not my deer until its in the truck.
Thats right, lol ever hear the term possesion is 9/10 ths of the law. I believe you did ok by it, I wouldnt loose sleep over it
Old 09-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The same thing happens here if a deer is left out overnight -- 'cept it's foxes. I've lost more than I care to count due to this. I salvage whatever is useable - usually front quarters and backstraps are good and you have to judge for yourself what - if any - of the hindquarters can be used.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Spike

i would def just leave her for the coyotes to eat cuz its a waist of a tag to tag her just say u never found her
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Early in. Would this be at the same public ground spot I know you hunt? Near the old ice cream spot on the corner. If so doesn't surprise me. They are here! Also in bigger quantities than you know. I live probably a 1/4 mile from your stand. I had that happen once and only once,About three years ago. Whole back end gone off her up into the rib cage. Definately work of a yote. A A fix will eat the size of a fist or two and move on. A yote will gorge, regergitate, gorge again. Been more and more local seightings lately. We now always try to retrieve our deer that night. It was pritty warm last week they could smell supper from a long way. Good luck the rest of the season.

Last edited by rack tracker; 09-30-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

I wont take a doe a dusk. Doe are a mid morning or mid day any day of the week scenario.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you feel you made a good shot, wait a half hour and track. If you feel your shot was marginal, wait a couple hours at least before tracking. If you can stay in the woods, do so. Base what you do next on what you see/hear along the track.

I have coyotes too, and it really does make you more aggressive on the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.