Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is it ethical to shoot a running deer with a bow? >

Is it ethical to shoot a running deer with a bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: Would you shoot a non-wounded running deer with a bow?
Yes
11.11%
No
88.89%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Is it ethical to shoot a running deer with a bow?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sdhunter11
well guys i have been looking around for a horse, maybe i can do this like they do in "dances with wolves" , just ride along side the deer and stick arrows in him until he looks like a pin cushion and falls over. Well maybe i can just use furgitters st. bernard. Get ur camera ready furgitter, i got a doozy for you to film LMFAO. We can call it " Ethical hunting the old fashion way" lol.
Google a Mongolian bow shooting horseback rider.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

thats neat, it would be better if they were riding shetland ponies lol.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've walked along the side of a truck on a logging road while a doe on the other side of the trail watched the truck go by. I pulled back , and stopped walking, and watched the deers' expression change just before I sunk one into her chest.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

the only way its ethical to shoot a running deer is if you first yell freeze or i will shoot.
If the deer continues to run then its alright..
Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I voted no but now I need to qualify why it is ok sometimes. A buddy of mine took a shot yesterday and his bottom limb hit something and threw off his aim. He spined the deer. He knew he needed to put another arrow into her but as he was nocking the arrow the deer got up and started running. He didnt even have time to aim properly but he sent another arrow at her while she was running. I say it was luck, but he's got some really good shooting instincts. He basically cut her heart in half. This guy is a natural shooter though, he expressed interest in trap shooting this summer but never fired a shotgun before in his life. I took him to the range and let him borrow my gun. I don't think he missed a single clay. I was amazed. I haven't seen him do that well since, but that first time out was pretty wild.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Wasnt fred bear famous for bird hunting with a bow? But very few people could even hold a candle to him.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even if you say you can make it, there is still a much higher degree of difficulty. Why risk wounding an animal needlessly just so you can stroke your ego and brag to your buddies. Now if you are starving and trying to stay alive then go for it but I doubt thats the case. Let the deer go until a better shot is available.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your pins are useless when shooting a running target. You just point and shoot, and keep swinging even after the arrow is gone. And keep it in close.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Typical Buck

Instinctive shooting does work with lots of practice, but it's not as consistant as a pin. So I gather that you don't bother with pins.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Squirrels smell the nuts that are burried, and dig them up. They dont use there eyes. Have you ever watched one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.