Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is this???

Old 09-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is this???

I was out looking at a new prospective spot today and found a golf ball sized nuts possible. There were probably 20 or so trees on a hillside of them. It' s green, but there were some brown ones too. Alot of split ones on the ground. I was just wondering what they are and if deer like them. thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:06 PM

Default RE: What is this???

MIGHT BE WALNUTS OR PERSIMMONS, BUT THE PERSIMMONS WON' T START FALLING FOR AWHILE .THAT HAS GOT ME PUZZLED.

THE BEST NEVER REST.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t think it is a walnut. Don' t they have indentions on them. This is relatively smooth on the outside.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:14 PM

Probablly Hickory Nuts. I don' t think deer eat them, but, I am not entirely sure of that. I do however know that squirrels absolutely LOVE those things. I have a HUGE hickory tree in my woods that I call the " squirrel tree" . It is hollow from the base to the top, and this thing is FULL of squirrels. The bottom of the tree is open on both sides, and each fall, this little area gets PACKED with hickory nuts by these squirrels!
Old 09-11-2003, 10:15 PM

sounds to me like you found some Hickory trees and the nuts that fall off them. Green outer covering -the nuts are inside- they are brown , and the whole nut when it falls (outer covering) will split right up the middle at times.

Cant say I ever seen or heard of deer eating Hickory nuts - they are hard- BUT if you hunt squirrels You just found yourself a Gold Mine !!!!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh thats great. Just what i want to do. Look for deer and see nothing but squirrels.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:18 PM

BUCK MAGNET- You beat me by 36 seconds!
Old 09-13-2003, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say walnuts. Butternuts might always be a possibility. None the less though, they are too hard for deer. I agree with mordecaia, great spot to get some squirrle stew.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Don' t know where your at in South Central, IL but I' m in Fairview Heights. I have seen (on the other side of the river in St. Louie) lots of chestnut trees. They have a brown and green stage. I friend of mine who has deer on his property says they DO eat them. I wouldn' t want to ruin your hunt on a guess so here' s a picture of a chestnut so you can decide

and one of a wild walnut:

and a persimmon (not likely from your description):

and finaly a hickory nut:

Old 09-13-2003, 10:15 AM

aw nuts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.