Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
new string and cable question >

new string and cable question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new string and cable question

Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Spike

Default new string and cable question

I recently took my bow to a local archery shop to get new strings and cables put on my bow. I got out today to shoot it and I'm having a problem. When i get to full draw my arm slips in some and makes it hard to make good shots. It doesn't feel like i cant hold the draw weight back or anything, its hard to explain. Every time it happens I have to get back on target. It happens every shot at least a couple of times before I can get my shot off. Would this be because the strings and cables are new and need to be broken in some or what? This is the first time I've ever had to replace them so I really don't know whats normal. Thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

sounds like it is a problem with the new strings/cables. i couldn't tell you what but it seems (by how your explaining it) as if you don't get a solid back wall or as much let-off anymore. Take it back and ask to show him in the indoor range.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Spike

Yea, thats what i was trying to say. Your description is a lot better than mine. I will give them a call tomorrow to see what they can tell me.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Assuming he has them twisted up to the right lengths, he needs to put a few extra twists in those cables to advance the cams a little. When you do that you get alot more valley making it much easier to hold without the bow wanting to creep ahead.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:29 AM
Spike

sounds like it is a problem with the new strings/cables.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VaWhitetailHunter
I recently took my bow to a local archery shop to get new strings and cables put on my bow. I got out today to shoot it and I'm having a problem. When i get to full draw my arm slips in some and makes it hard to make good shots. It doesn't feel like i cant hold the draw weight back or anything, its hard to explain. Every time it happens I have to get back on target. It happens every shot at least a couple of times before I can get my shot off. Would this be because the strings and cables are new and need to be broken in some or what? This is the first time I've ever had to replace them so I really don't know whats normal. Thanks
I'm confused. What do you mean your arm slips in some? If you mean your are having problems staying in the wall at full draw then the string/cables may not be the proper length and/or the bow's draw length is too long for you. If you are an experienced shooter you should be able to tell this.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

yea, sounds like your draw length is to long, i just got a new bowtech insanity cpx and when i brought it home, i noticed when i was at full draw it wanted to creep on me, and make me pull back harder, i actually shortened my string loop about 1/2" and it cured that...

Last edited by wilk; 09-19-2012 at 08:16 AM.