Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Treestand safety advice >

Treestand safety advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand safety advice

Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Spike

Default Treestand safety advice

Experience is the best teacher and unfortunately I learned a valuable lesson on Md. opening day Friday that will hopefully help others: do not rely on tree branches as "steps" regardless of how thick they may be. 5:30am I had climbed to the base of my stand (20') and was preparing to step onto platform when branch I was on broke causing me to fall the length of my tether. My immediate reaction was to grab for something and as I caught a firm grasp of another branch, the 'stub' of the broken branch cut into my forearm. A day in the emergency room and 26 stitches later was a costly lesson; but one that could have been far worse if only by a couple of inches.

One other thought: I know that screw in steps are frequently used; and were so in my case (alternated with branches-never again). But they can also be a danger should they impale the body.

And I'd have to say, contrary to my sign-off: Even a bad day in the woods is better than any day out--wasn't the case on this day!! Hunt safe and enjoy the season......

To the managers of this site: I was looking for a folder on this topic to post this thread but couldn't find one. Perhaps one should be created?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Yeap and don't cut class, wear only loafer on a wet misty day just because scent is in your favor and climb the tree. You might do a firemans slide to the bottom of your tree if using a loggy old style stand. Not sure why I know this but I just do. Let's just say their design worked and absorbed most of the energy at the bottom.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you made it through that incident. Sounds like you were VERY lucky, all things considered. That can't happen with a climber. In ten years I've had zero trouble using my LW sit and climb. Hang-ons ( I have the Assault) are great for tough locations, but it's more involved setting up than a climber. Most trees in my hunting area are climber friendly.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Live and learn. Glad you weren't killedor maimed permanently. It's good to pass on this info so that others can learn from it. At least you were apparently wearing a safety harness. I have learned to not trust anything. Limbs, strap-on or screw-in steps. They can all fail. 3 point hookup is what I practice. Two ahd and one foot or two feet and one hand on something solid at all times. Don't rush the climb. You don't want it to be your last.