Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Getting the creeps. >

Getting the creeps.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting the creeps.

Old 09-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Getting the creeps.

like soooo many of u mentioned above...i don' t like the woods at NIGHT either... i think its because i know where some animals are and where most aren' t....i also walk out with my hand on my knife sheath....its got a buckle that i can flip and have my knife out very fast.... other than that i don' t mind walking in in the cold mornings...when i can see, smell, and hear whats going on....plus theres usually no wind in the morning!
Old 09-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of years ago I met a guy that wanted to back pack into a remote location to bow hunt elk. He openly admitted that the thought of being alone in the woods cloaked in darkness nearly put him in a panic. Each night I would hear him check the chamber of his sidearm in his adjoining tent. One night when I heard him do this I started laughing. He asked me what was so funny and I told him he didn' t need to be so paranoid because he was much safer up here than he was in the city. Ironically, the next day the twin towers were razed by the terrorists and over 3,000 people lost their lives. Most times it is the two legged varmints that you have to be concerned about.

If you really want to test your sanity spend two weeks alone in unfamiliar territory where you might not talk to another human for four or five days at a time. I can tell you after the first week it takes a lot of the fun out of it. It does give one a new appreciation for what our forefathers went through.

Years ago before GPS navigation when hunting the big woods I got turned around going into my stand and had to stop, sit, and wait for daylight to find out where I was exactly. It didn' t scare me but I was perturbed that I got off the trail thus costing me valuable time in the stand.

Why a lot of us feel differently about going to the stand in the morning versus coming out at night is easy to explain. You know the sun is coming up in the morning. Going out at night, especially if you are in a remote area, there is no hope of any light for the next 10 hours or so. No one wants to spend the night alone lost in the woods.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:08 PM

I too have a fear of walking out of the woods in the dark. Mostly my fear is not of the four legged animal, though. I have had men in the woods with me that were not supposed to be there. They are what gives me the creeps. We have a lot of problems in my area with people coming onto someone else' s land and growing a certain illegal crop, because my land backs up to about 3000 acres of posted land with an absent owner we always have someone on our land each year who doesn' t belong. If my husband can' t meet me at my stand and walk out with me I carry a Glock 40 S & W in with me. It is not legal to carry a firearm on public land during bow season but on private land they really can' t say much about it.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

I' ve been freeked out a few times while walking threw the woods in the dark. It' s funny, you hear something running and you stop and try and figure out if it' s going away or comming at you. Also, sometimes your imagination can start to wander and get the best of you. Stop and tell yourself to chill out ya big baby! Everything out there is afraid of you.

The reason your not bothered in the morning is because your too damn tired to care.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

My first hunt (last year) I had poachers erect a fence across my path where I had to travel to get to my stand. They did this between 5PM the night before (when I was there) and 5:30AM when I was arriving. THAT FREAKED ME OUT! Because of that being my first encounter hunting, I' m afraid of poachers!

Ever seen deliverance?? []
Old 09-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess being a nighttime predator hunter has me conditioned to walking in the dark at all hours, I love it.........then again I guess there isn' t much that should bother you with a 12 gauge 3 1/2" Super Mag slung over your shoulder.
I' m used to being HUNTED at night.........but its usually not a happy ending for whatever is doing the hunting.

You really want to know my only " fear" in the nightime woods? Skunks. I just know sooner or later I' m gonna step on one.[X(]
Old 09-10-2003, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt...Skunks...LOL , very true.
I had my first run in with one last season. I was slipping down this ridge, it was pitch black. I stopped beside a big tree...trying to get my bearings, and in a few seconds I heard some rustling. It was so close I turned on my flashlight, and WHOA!!! 2ft away, it' s rear facing me, with it' s head turned and looking right at me!!![][] Needless to say...I wasn' t expecting that and Michael Jordan couldn' t have jumped higher or been 30ft away faster!! In about 20 years of in and out in the dark...that was a first for me. I was totally caught off guard. So my quiet morning slink to my stand was blown completely...but at least I didn' t get any additional cover scent[:-]
Old 09-10-2003, 06:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah Bow, Spiders are NaStY Nothing worse than walking into those webs at night. You always imagine the biggest ugliest spider you' ve ever seen. [>:][X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.