Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Had a great weekend. >

Had a great weekend.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Had a great weekend.

Old 09-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Had a great weekend.

I have 2 daughters ages 14 & 10, and my buddy has a 13 year old daughter. We have been promising them a " girls weekend" for some time. We left out at 6:00 am Saturday morning to go to the hunting lease to do a few final adjustments and hang a couple of stands. We got there about 9:30 or so and so began a long but fun filled day. They were more than happy to drive the dads around on the 4 wheelers (the dads didn' t mind being chauferred around either) and go trekking off through the woods at will. The weather couldn' t have been better for September in Texas. We enjoyed a sunny afternoon picnic on the back of the trucks & trailer, rode for several hours on the wheelers and just had a great time. We didn' t get to the hotel until 1:00 am (camper is in the shop being repaired). The girls must have had a blast as well because they didn' t make it out of the gate before falling asleep. I guess we just wore them out.

In spite of a problem with one of the wheelers, that we managed to fix in the field with nothing more than a small screwdriver and a Gerber multi tool, it was a near perfect day. We got all of our remaining stands hung, saw some really good sign, and hung a couple of game cameras. Plus the best part was being with our kids and seeing them enjoy themselves.

If you have kids, don' t leave them at home. Take them with you every opportunity you get. They grow up and do their own thing so fast, make the most out of every minute you can be with them. I just hope that my kids will remember the times we spend together while hunting & just enjoying the outdoors. Hopefully they will pass it on to the next generation.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Had a great weekend.

Right on Mike!!

Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn' t have said it better! I take my little bro every chance I get.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

That great Mike they will remember it for a long time. What part of texas do you hunt? I have a gun lease in Milam Co and a bow lease in Dillie texas. With the rain we have had it will be a great deer season.Good luck
Old 09-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Texastracker,

This year I' m going back to my roots & hunting East Texas. Since I grew up hunting in Mississippi & Louisiana, it' s more the type of hunting I' m used to doing. For three seasons prior to that I hunted the hill country in Lampasas county. Not the style of hunting I' m used to since there are few trees, but there were sooooo many deer that I learned to adapt to it pretty quickly.

I' m gonna try the East Texas thing this year and see how it works out. I' m afraid I will be disappointed at the quantity of deer I' ll see though. It was not uncommon for me to see 30-40 deer per weekend with probably about 35% of those being bucks. I could definitely be selective on that lease. I belive I' ll see larger and more quality bucks on the lease I' m on this year though. We' ll see.