Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is it okay to smoke in the stand

Old 09-08-2003, 12:27 AM

Default is it okay to smoke in the stand

Was just wondering if you all think that smoking in the stand or ground blind bugs the deer it never seems to bug my deer?
Old 09-08-2003, 04:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: is it okay to smoke in the stand

First off I don' t smoke but I feel if the deer smells the smoke then he has also smelled you. I think it' s the movement that smoking requires that will give you away more than the smell cause if he smells you he is long gone any way
Old 09-08-2003, 05:13 AM
Dominant Buck

As a 2 pack a day guy I' ll say the answer is generally no . Any foreign smell can spook deer . I use nicotine gum or dip on stand . I never saw a deer while smoking out there .
Old 09-08-2003, 06:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-08-2003, 07:00 AM

I smoke while hunting. I tried not smoking but found I got ansy after about an hour. So I tried smoking while hunting and I found that if I spray down with Carbon Blast or H.S. Scent-Away it helps keep the smell down. But like Bowdacious said, it always seems like I' m in the middle of one when the deer show up. If you' re gonna smoke, you' d better keep the wind in your favor at all costs. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:18 AM

I have hunted for a few more years than I like to admit, and in that time I see the most deer right around 7am and 9am local time. Not much before or after that. And this was when I wasn' t smoking.

So, I usually will light up between 7:45 and 8:15. And then again after about 9:30. It never seemed to mess up my hunt. In fact, one year, I was almost ran over by a young button buck while sitting on the ground, smoking a cigarette. His eyes got as big as mine when he realized what I was.

But, there is a safety factor here. Make sure it' s really out before sticking the butt in your pocket. That alone might cause you to fall out of your tree!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 11:49 AM

I hunt with a guy who smokes, eats candy and drinks mountain dew all the time. He has had to put a smoke down to take a shot. I don' t think it will be much of a problem from an elevated stand but I don' t know about from the ground
Old 09-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t smoke but if i did i wouldn' t while on stand. I have a brother though that smokes, eats, chews, takes a whiz and who knows what else from his stand and always fills his tags. Some people just seem to draw deer no matter what. I know several guys like my brother who can kill deer sitting on a 5 gallon bucket in the middle of time square. Unfortunately i' m not one of them so i try and keep scent down to a minimum.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

I don' t smoke, but both of my brothers do in their stand. They also seem to fill their tags every year. You would think with the odor and the movement involved, you' d have two strikes against you. A friend of mine chews while he hunts. One morning on his way to his stand he got a little lost and circled his tree a couple times. Later that hunt, he claims that the deer he harvested was attracted in by the wintergreen flavor trail he left while looking for his stand.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:19 PM

I recommend smoking to all the clowns who hunt around me. I will often solicit the pickups early in the mourning and hand out smokes to everyone I can.

Quick Reply: is it okay to smoke in the stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.