Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for 5 shot or anybody else interested >

Question for 5 shot or anybody else interested

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for 5 shot or anybody else interested

Old 09-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Spike

Default Question for 5 shot or anybody else interested

I shoot 70 pounds on a 28 inch Hoyt Protec...........which open on impact head do you think is the absolute best at penetration and energy transfer with a 400 series Easton Epic arrows at 27 inches?
Old 09-07-2003, 07:20 PM

Default RE: Question for 5 shot or anybody else interested

at 70lbs, any broadhead will work. I shoot a mathews legacy at 70lbs with a 30 inch draw and carbon arrows. i am shooting around 275-280fps. i currently shoot rocket sidewinders but i think this year i might move up to the rocket hammerheads cause they have a 2 inch cutting diameter. if the deer is 20 yards or below, i am shooting with the hammers and 20+ i am going shoot the sidewinders. i have killed a couple deer with the sidewinders but i want the hammerheads because they can be that slight difference between wounding a deer and killing a deer when a bad shot occurs. my suggestion is to you is shoot any open on impact blade. its all what people like, either rocket or say n.a.p. either way u have enough ke to penetrate most game
Old 09-08-2003, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

speaking purely from the standpoint of penetration the Rocket steelheads or naildriver, the Rocky Ironhead XP and the Vortex 100 grn steel solid are all excellent choices. For the most part as cutting diameter and the number of blades goes up, your penetration goes down, the trick is to balance the two for your setup. I would suspect you KE level is in the mid to high 60' s and plenty to use any of these heads, along with many of the larger styles.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:25 AM
Spike

Thanks guys........any suggestions on a fixed blade head as well? Flight wise
Old 09-08-2003, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

...which open on impact head do you think is the absolute best at penetration and energy transfer....
For the most part as cutting diameter and the number of blades goes up, your penetration goes down....
That is because they are better at energy transfer than smaller diameter heads with less blades. Energy transfer is what you want with bullets, but you avoid it with arrows. The ONLY time you talk energy transfer with arrows is when you' re using blunts for small game.

You want the arrow to transfer as little energy as possible to the animal, cut a lot of tissue for maximum bleeding, and then bury in the ground on the offside. For trailing, two leaking holes are better than one.

As for fixed, Muzzy is great and has long been my hands down choice for replaceable blade heads. Heard good things about Slick Trick but never tried them myself. Thunderheads are good, but be sure you get the UBAR adaptors for carbon arrows. Bear Razorhead Lite and Magnus Stingers are good cut to tip heads.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same here for the Muzzys. They were the last fixed blade head that I was shooting and they are what I would go back to if I had a desired to shoot an exposed blade head again.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to many good fixed blade heads, Magnus stingers, Muzzys, Wasps, Rocky ti' s and Ironheads, Slick tricks thunderheads etc. That said I am a big fan of Muzzys and The Magnus stingers.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:40 PM

Just don' t think you can go wrong with the Muzzys Sure there are a lot of good heads out there and Muzzy is on top[:-] IMHO
Old 09-09-2003, 12:33 AM

Muzzy is well proven. Slick trick has done well in tests...in time the Slick trick will get the reputation it deserves. I' m using Slick trick this year.