Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
compound bow now! >

compound bow now!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

compound bow now!

Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Spike

Default compound bow now!

My girlfriend. Really wants to go hunting this deer season but she is unable to pull back her bow..I'm starting to think about crossbow even though I am not a big fan of them,,should I get her into hunting wit a crossbow or should I make her work to a compound bow? Any ideas how to get her arm strenght up fast? Thx all options welcome
Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

What weight bow is she trying to shoot? Check your game laws for min draw weight. Here in PA the min for deer is 35#. That weight with the proper arrow and a cut on contact broadhead will easily take a deer with a well placed arrow.
A crossbow, if legal, would work for her but she would probably have a difficult time cocking it. Most from what I've seen are in the 75 - 175# range.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

this close to season, you better just get her into a crosbow... but keep her working on the compound.... reason being... is there enough time to get her to comfortably draw the bow, and shoot accurately every time.. doutfull, it takes lots of practice!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
What weight bow is she trying to shoot? Check your game laws for min draw weight. Here in PA the min for deer is 35#. That weight with the proper arrow and a cut on contact broadhead will easily take a deer with a well placed arrow.
A crossbow, if legal, would work for her but she would probably have a difficult time cocking it. Most from what I've seen are in the 75 - 175# range.
Agree with this.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

You need to take her somewhere to find out what kind of poundage she can comfortably pull and see if the bow she has will work for her.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Spike

Legal limit is 40 pounfs she isnt able to pull 30 yet just really want to get her into this wonderful sport.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Spike

I am not sure where you live but, here in NY you can only use a crossbow during gun season. I would recommend having her do shoulder exercises with exercise tubing. It will really stregthen her shoulder and arm quickly, probably not in time to get proficient this season though. Ethically, I would hope she would be a good shot before hitting the woods. Maybe take her out during gun season to get a taste of the hunting experience and work her up to her bow by next year. Or just take her out to the stand with you. I know watching someone take a deer can be quite an experience in itself.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not a fan of the crossbow either, but like was stated before here in NY it is only allowed during gun season and an additional safety course might be needed. If one is not needed, they should be!
About the worst thing you could do is make her try too hard, if she pulls a shoulder muscle, it's crossbow for sure! Like you said," strengthen"!!! Lots of protien, be sure to get enough sleep, arm circles and squat-thrusts! Best of luck and when is your season opener?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Spike

what bow is she trying to shoot maybe its not the right bow for her