Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ghillie Suits

Old 07-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ghillie Suits

Anybody ever use a ghillie suit for bowhunting? i do about as much still hunting as i do in a stand. where i hunt there is thick cover, high grass, big bushes, and trees. i just think it would be a perfect way to hunt (and feel like a military sniper lol). really helps get rid of your silhouette. I also think it would be great for stand situations. Many times i have been in a stand and a nice buck walks past, but i can never get a shot and he disapears. If i think i have a decent chance of being able to get the wind in my favor and stalk him, i do. Now i think it would be very convenient to hop out of my stand, slip it on and go. Anyone have any suggested brands? i dont know if i should get a an early fall color, more greenish, or a late fall, with obviously more brown. what do you think would be more versatile?

thanks.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Let me know how getting out of your stand, slipping on a Ghillie suit, then sneaking up on a nice buck (with a bow) goes for you! That seems like a next to impossible feat (not impossible.... but close) lol. Never used one, but if the wind is right, I can see hiding in some thick cover and getting a shot on a passing deer.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jermelott
Let me know how getting out of your stand, slipping on a Ghillie suit, then sneaking up on a nice buck (with a bow) goes for you! That seems like a next to impossible feat (not impossible.... but close) lol. Never used one, but if the wind is right, I can see hiding in some thick cover and getting a shot on a passing deer.
lol it is really hard i will give you that. but believe it or not i've been able to get out of my stand, and sneak with in 25 yards of bucks that have passed my stand, and taken one once. the hardest part is actually getting a shot, closing the distance isn't that hard if you have the wind in your favor and there not already alerted.. yea these arent 5 year old deer that are smart as hell but still. my dad taught me how to still hunt awhile ago and ive gotten pretty good at it. today i closed the distance on 4 bucks scouting, from 100 yards to 20. if it was in season, and i had my bow i could have taken one. i think its also good for a situation when you get in your stand and the all the sudden the wind changes directions.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

The main problem I could see from a true gilly suit would be all the strips of material hanging down. You would probably have to trim the suit along inside of arm holding the bow and around face to keep material out of string.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

ive used several types of ghillie suits. there is a reason hunting ghillie suits have shorter material then "millitary grade" ghillies. with hand made ghillies you are required to drag your feet when your walking. once you get used to it, its really not all that bad and you can trim the material around your feet. running is also possible but its very laughable. imagine running around like mule deer, with a short stride and more of a straight up and down motion. actual hunting ghillies have very short cut material usually made out of something that might be more noisy but longer lasting. they arent clumsy but they arent as effective as hand made ghillie suits.

before buying a ghillie suit just take note that wearing one is like walking in snow, you tire out faster and sweat. and what better to hold sweat? a ghillie suit. the hand made "millitary/sniper" ghillie suits also dont last long, thats why snipers are trained to make them, they go through 15-20 per year and they need them application specific. of course the average hunter wont run one down so quick but just dont expect to have just one in your lifetime. this is the main reason i gave up on ghillie suits.