Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Can I shoot 125gr with my setup? >

Can I shoot 125gr with my setup?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can I shoot 125gr with my setup?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Spike

Default Can I shoot 125gr with my setup?

I have a Martin Saber set at 60lbs with 350 arrows.
Will I be able to shoot 125gr mechanical broadheads or
Should I stick with 100gr broadheads?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Spike

No one can answer this for me?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having the extra weight up front should be ok. You will lose some FPS but have more penetration . I shoot 125gr steelforce Phatheads. goodluck!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 07-25-2012, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

You ask if you will be able to do it. Of course you are able to switch heads. 15 grains of weight isn't really a drastic change.

What we can't guess at is your ability to make the switch work with your setup. Since you are asking this question, you are probably not a skilled bow tuner. With more info (arrow length), I'm sure someone can tell you what the recommended spine range is for your draw weight and point weight, but that's only a starting point. Then things like your shooting form will come into play. Arrows that work for some don't work for others with similar setups.

So give it a try and see how the bow performs.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
You ask if you will be able to do it. Of course you are able to switch heads. 15 grains of weight isn't really a drastic change.

What we can't guess at is your ability to make the switch work with your setup. Since you are asking this question, you are probably not a skilled bow tuner. With more info (arrow length), I'm sure someone can tell you what the recommended spine range is for your draw weight and point weight, but that's only a starting point. Then things like your shooting form will come into play. Arrows that work for some don't work for others with similar setups.

So give it a try and see how the bow performs.
I agree. I am shooting 65# with a 125 grain tip. It works for me.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies! Much obliged. You're right about me not being
A skilled bow tuner, I have trouble in the arrow department. Weight/spine/deflection/etc. all that stuff confuses me. I just measured my arrows and they are 31.5 inches, not including the nock. I would crank the weight up on my bow but 60lbs is the max
Old 07-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Spike

Also, I plan on shooting the NAP spitfire maxx mechanical broadheads, they leave giant gaping wound channels so I thought i would give them a try.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Spike

I assume your arrows are 350 spine carbon express. If my asumtion is correct and they are 350spine and you are pulling 60lb draw weight you should drop your spine down to the Carbon Express 250's as the 350's fit a higher draw weight than 60lbs. The bottom weight you should be pulling with 350's is 63-64 lbs. If the spine is to strong for your draw weight then your arrows won't flex correctly there fore giving you a little larger grouping. If you prefer CE arrows then try the 250's as they will react to your draw weight better. If you change arrow brands then you will want either a 250 spine or 400 spine in arrows such as easton. I do custom arrows.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Spike

As far as the broad heads go you can shoot any weight you wish, just remember the heavier the total weight of your arrow the larger shooting window you will need when hunting as they will drop more, however the will have a little better KE down range.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming your bow fits your draw length, have someone mark your arrow, about 1/2" forward of your rest when you are at full draw (obviously this is best done from the side). Then measure from the mark to the throat of the nock. That's your arrow length. Then get your arrows cut to that length. No reason to be shooting a few extra inches of arrow.

Once your arrows are the correct length you can think about spine and tuning. I recommend walk-back tuning, and then broadhead tuning. There are threads on these methods in the Technical Forum, and they are relatively simple. Make rest and nockpoint adjustments according to what the arrows are telling you (not some preconceived notion of what "centershot" must be).

Good luck!