Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How Does Rain Affect Scent? >

How Does Rain Affect Scent?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Does Rain Affect Scent?

Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Spike

Default How Does Rain Affect Scent?

I was reading the other hunting in the rain thread and it got me thinking. I know in a steady rain, deer will tend to be a little more cautious because there is constant noise around them and they cannot rely as much on their hearing. But what I was wondering is how does a constant rainfall affect smells? Would the rainfall knock down our human scent as it lingers off of us? Also I wonder how it would affect scents on the ground.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

I would think it would help with human odor and make it harder for deer to smell you
Old 07-15-2012, 03:43 AM
Typical Buck

IMO it helps push it straight down if there are no strong winds.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

When it's humid out things that didn't stink, stink. A washing away rain would be good, a damp rain would be bad in my book.

Guys in the south seem to do alright though. Mostly cold up here during hunting season.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by nodog
When it's humid out things that didn't stink, stink. A washing away rain would be good, a damp rain would be bad in my book.
I definitely agree with this. Because if you have ever smelled a wet dog compared to a dry one, you know its true.

I also am right there with you HDMontana. I just wonder if there is any scientific evidence of this.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

i think it would keep it down but im no expert .
Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had a Deer bust me by getting my scent during a light rain shower or after it stops,but I've never had one real close in that situation either. But I would think it helps us to some degree.