Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting in the rain unethical? >

Hunting in the rain unethical?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in the rain unethical?

Old 07-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Spike

Default Hunting in the rain unethical?

I'm curious what everyones opinion is on this one. I'm from the thought that shooting an animal with an arrow in heavy rain borders on unethical, since the blood trail will be washed away in short order. I will hunt in a light rain however. I have friends who feel otherwise and hunt in anything.
Thoughts?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like hunting in a light rain. I will not hunt in a heavy or moderate rain. But, if I did get a chance on a good buck. I would not pass.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I don't figure a wolf, coyote, or cougar takes the day off when it rains so why should I.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, if it is unethical, then I guesse I am. I wont sit out there if its pooring out, but I will sit in a moderate rain.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Not at all
Old 07-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Well, I don't figure a wolf, coyote, or cougar takes the day off when it rains so why should I.
I agree....sometimes you cant pick your days....so go for it..
Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Make a good shot and don't take a poor opportunity on an animal and they should not run too awful far out of eyeshot anyway. I hunt in rain and have no problems. I usually don't see deer in a torrential downpour, I see them when the rain subsides and lightens up.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

I agree, hunt the rain. But be sure of your shot and give it your best effort (as always) to find your deer. It wouldn't hurt either to have a tracking dog on speed dial (if legal in your area) - tracking dogs are still effective if less than ~1/2" rain has fallen on the blood trail.

-fsh
Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 AM
Dominant Buck

No, there is nothing unethical about hunting in a heavy rain. However, it's very miserable and the odds are stacked against you if you think you will shoot the big boy that day.

Deer become very skittish in heavy rain because it demishishs their senses they rely on. For a big deer, they will prefer to hunker down and not move at all and just wait out the rain. They do that normally even on a good day. It's the chance of getting something that gets them moving.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

I love hunting in the rain .. I have shot lots of deer in a light to moderate rain..If you sit at home your missing out on a great chance to shoot one !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.