Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand prep?

Old 05-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Spike

Default Stand prep?

When do you go out in the woods to set up and prepare stands for bow hunting? Early summe? End of Summer? A few weeks before the season?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 I never take down,will check them for safety 6 weeks out, I have 2 more to hang in good spots and several trees to prep for my climber. After 3 years of hunting I have a better feel for where and when to hunt them and were to put two new ones.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

i've been moving stands and working on hanging new ones now!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've spent a weekend in early May starting to put up new stands and check out old ones. I put 5 new ones up based off paths we found while shed hunting and where I saw deer last year but didn't want to explore until after the season. For me, the earlier I can get a stand in the better. I want to give the deer time to get used to it as well as get any foreign scent washed away. I think as soon as the winter is over its a good time to start prepping. I wanted to get them up now so when we start to do more work, all we have to do is trim and maybe add a rachet strap or two. Once Labor day rolls around I want to have as much work done as I can and let the area rest until the season start October 1. This just how I like to think of it. Good Luck!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:17 AM
Spike

I just cleared out a spot for a ground blind for my grand son 13 years old and myself. and cleared shooting lanes for a couple hang on stands. I'll put the hang ons up a couple weeks b4 season. No sense leaving them out for the weather to damage or to be stolen.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Spike

Depending on where you live,for example here in SE NC where its thick cover, early mid summer I clear paths/shooting lanes for multiple reasons... let the deer acclimate to the the changes/scent dissipate, because of our long growing season, the regrowth the comes back will be tender and the deer will be more apt to use any paths cut in the woods as a food source. Besides it's any reason to be in the woods is a good one. For anyone reading this thread, please when clearing around a tree for your stand, any trees cut, need to be cut flush with the ground ,falling out of a stand is bad enough, but landing on a pungi stick, makes it go from bad to worse.

Last edited by fishtaconc; 07-21-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Spike

i do it all in July. put my ground blind out last weekend in a killer spot and a few ladder stands. Well it seems hopeful anyway. Figure thats plenty of time for them to get used to it.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

I start checking my 5 stands around June taking inventory of anything I need to fix or replace and then I like to touch up shooting lanes and place my ground blind in mid august. I want to be done with everything by Labor day so I can spend all of september glassing and checking cameras.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

I start as soon as the deer season is over and done moving stands buy june at the latest.Then will check them and clear some shooting lanes in August.I have 15 ladder stands that i leave up year round and tweek some of them alittle every year after season.The sooner the better in my opinion..