Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rocky Ironhead XP test results >

Rocky Ironhead XP test results

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rocky Ironhead XP test results

Old 09-01-2003, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rocky Ironhead XP test results

Ironhead XP 100 grain

Plywood 5 points
Steel drum 4 points
Orange 3 points
Cutting diameter 3 points
Accuracy 5 points
Blades 3 points

Total score 23 with a blade sharpness rating of A

The Rocky Ironhead XP is a basic two blade swing open style mechanical broadhead with a cut on contact blade/tip. The cutting diameter is 1 1/8”. One nice feature with this broadhead is that it requires no O-rings or rubber bands to hold the blades closed. I have found that in most cases heads that use methods other than O-rings open much slower than those that use them. This is not the case with the Ironhead XP. I found it opens as fast as most heads, and it is very reliable.
In the plywood the head penetrated completely and without damage. In the steel drum the Ironhead penetrated the first wall with the tip and half the body sticking out the back of the rear wall. The blades were fully open and in excellent shape. In the orange it had fully opened by the time it exited. I also found the accuracy to be excellent, with the head flying and grouping just like my field points.
Overall this is an excellent mechanical broadhead. It penetrates as well as most fixed blade heads, the accuracy is excellent and this is a one durable broadhead. It does not have the extra large cutting diameter some heads have, but with the added penetration and fast opening blades it would make a great choice for those with lower Kinetic energy setups that want to shoot a mechanical broadhead for the increased accuracy, or for those that want to use a mechanical on game larger than deer. The blade/tip while small does add a good bit of cut and opens up the wound channel enough to make a difference. This is the main reason I gave the head a 3 in the blade score. I feel it adds just enough to warrant an extra point. The closest head to this one would be the Rocket nail driver. Both have an all steel body with two main blades, and both have a 1 1/8” cutting diameter. The Ironhead XP does have an advantage with the cut on contact tip and no O-ring design. The blades are also much sharper than those found on the Nail driver. As good as the Rocket head is, I think the Rocky product is just a step above and would be my first choice for lower Kinetic energy setups or for those that are really concerned with penetration.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rocky Ironhead XP test results

Another Great Test 5Shot Keep em up.

I think Im becoming a Rocky Mountain kind of Guy.
Your test are showing some great quality coming from them.
My Gator XPs are flying right with my Field Tips.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting final thoughts there Chris. I had just noticed the Ironhead XPs in the Eders catalog that I was perusing while waiting for dove season to start today....and I thought of you. I am glad you tested the head. I thought it had some potential.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, this is a great little head. rocky Mtn has done a nice job on the new lineup this year.