Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats the longest shot you have ever taken? >

whats the longest shot you have ever taken?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats the longest shot you have ever taken?

Old 08-31-2003, 12:16 PM

Default whats the longest shot you have ever taken?

Hunters, what is the longest shot you have taken with your bow or rifle? I have talked to several hunters and I have heard of some long distant shots of over 500 yards, what is your thought on this? What is a good distance and what is too far?

Dr. Mike
Old 08-31-2003, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whats the longest shot you have ever taken?

My longest bow shot at a big game animal was a 45 yard shot at a caribou. I feel comfortable out to 40, and practice out to 60, and the conditions were perfect, and most of all I felt comfortable with the shot, so I took it. The bull made it 70 yards from a double lung hit and expired.

My longest shot at a small game animal was 60 yards at a goose. I hit him a bit low, but it was a quick kill as well.

I won' t shoot over 200 yards with a rifle, and my longest rifle kill was on the 2nd of August at a caribou. I shot him from 120 yards.

If people are taking long shots, I' d hope they would practice at those ranges. Shooting 500 yards and only practicing to 200 ain' t cool.

As far as archery, I know some people are comfortable out to further ranges, but as long as they practice and are proficient at those ranges, and they feel comfortable with the shot, that' s when they need to make the decision.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

A couple of years ago I took out both lungs on
my biggest javilina to date...50 yards. That same
year, I also shot over the back of a coues doe
at the same distance...everything was perfect,
except I put my 60 yard pin on her instead of
my 50[&:]...I don' t have that problem anymore,
since I removed my 60 yard pin[:-].

I don' t hunt with a rifle, unless you count squirrel
hunting. In that case, it would be 40 yards.

The few years I hunted deer with a shotgun my longest
shot was a doe I took at 75 yards. All others were
inside 50 yards.

Old 08-31-2003, 03:12 PM

My farthest archery deer shot was 23 yards, but i dont mind shooting out to 40. My farthest rifle shot was 487 yards on a coyote, on a deer was 187. I dont want to take long shots, that defeats the purpose(in my opinion).
Old 08-31-2003, 03:34 PM

I have taken a couple in the high 200' s. I shot a deer at 260, and a black bear at 276. I routinely practice at 500 yds. and under. I shot 550 yds a couple days ago and nailed the target twice. I shot it once with a 7mm rem. mag using 150 grain Remington Scirroco' s, and the second time with a 338-378. Weatherby Mag. You talk about a flat shooting gun. I started shooting bows six weeks ago, because I did not draw my rifle tag. I purchased a Bow-Tech Blackhawk and practiced 5 times a week. Yesterday was my first bow hunt, and I killed a 5 by 5 bull at 52 yds. I had to quarter him up yesterday afternoon, and we got him all packed out last night.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:23 PM

Farthest shot with a rifle was 375 yards with a .270. Nailed a coyote with it!!!

Farthest with a bow has been 112 yards. It was a novelty shoot at a 3-D tournament. And I missed the 1 inch orange dot by 1/4 inch. That was with fixed pins and fingers. Bummed me out when someone only missed it by 1/8th inch and won.

On an animal, longest with a bow was 30 yards.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

38-40 yds with a bow . But prefer them at 20.

Old 08-31-2003, 06:59 PM

30 yards with a bow...don' t gun hunt.
Practice out to 40 normally.
90%+ of all my bow shots are 20 yards or less.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:26 PM

Longest deer shot with a bow was 35 yards. Got both lungs, he went about 40 yards and fell in a creek.... had to go in after him.

Longest deer shot with a rifle is 301 yards. I ranged him with a laser before the shot. Neck shot, he fell in his tracks. I was in a sweet gum about 40' up, overlooking a three year old clearcut. [:-]

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->
Old 08-31-2003, 09:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Since this is a bowhunting thread I' ll stick to archery only.....

42 yard double lung on a fine PA buck which traveled less than 40 yards before collapsing.

Quick Reply: whats the longest shot you have ever taken?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.