HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Who takes kids hunting w/them? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/36259-who-takes-kids-hunting-w-them.html)

Deleted User 08-28-2003 07:41 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

bubbamoose 08-28-2003 07:56 PM

RE: Who takes kids hunting w/them?

I haven' t taken my kids deer hunting yet, I just don' t think either of them is ready. My daughter is 7 and she went tree rat hunting with me last year. Was one of the worst days (weather wise) that I' ve gone hunting. But we had a blast anyway, and it was dad that wanted to go back to the truck not her. I owe her a good hunt. The boy was susposed to go with us then but he came down with a fever during the night and momma put her foot down on him going last year. I do plan to take them out again this year. If having one in the woods was sooo much fun I can' t wait to get them both out at the same time.
B

CLOUD 9, MN 08-28-2003 07:59 PM

My son is 5 1/2 years old and average size. He will be coming on some of my deer hunt this year. I just bought a Double Bull ground blind and a deer decoy. When ever I take the blind out, he' ll be with. He shoots his Hoyt compound at least once or twice a week. Let me tell you..... he can shoot. He shoots with a release and a peepsight and a single pin. I think his Beeman carbon Hawks are 20" long. He consistently scores 280 to 290 at 10 yards. I think his draw length is now 16" , pretty small, and he started at 13 lbs. draw weight. Now he is at " 25 POUUND DRAW WEIGHT" and I got him a bowfishing set-up for his Hoyt. When we first went his draw weight was 18 lbs. and the arrow would bounce off and maybe take a scale off. Now with 25 lbs. of pull, he can get most shallow fish in. He really loves to bowfish. What kid wouldn' t love shooting and pulling in 8 to 18 lb. carp !!!

Good Luck!

Turk_man 08-28-2003 09:01 PM

Taking my 12 year old nephew with me moose hunting. Dragged him around turkey hunting for 2 years. I take my daughters turkey hunting every year (their 9) and they will be going moose hunting when they are alittle older.

Anthony Hunter 08-28-2003 09:17 PM

My 14 year old took his first deer last year, and this year will be his first archery season. He is practicing often and passed his bow proficiency test last week (we hunt on a military base that requires everyone to pass a proficiency test). I was so jacked! Then I told him that he still has to pass the hard part, convincing me that he is ready. Four weeks to go and I will be bow hunting with my son! WOW!:D:D:D:D:D

btpatriot02 08-28-2003 10:08 PM

I' ve been taking my daughter hunting w/me since she was 4, she' s 8 now. we hunt in a blind and I' ll bring the sleeping bag and the coloring books,heck even Barbie comes with. but if she gets to cold we go. try make it fun for them,because in the long run they' ll want to hunt. if you force it on them and make em stay they' ll hate it later. Now my 4 yr old son wants to go now this year, glad I invested in the DB Bs5 blind now the whole family can go[:-];)

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)[8D]

Tazman 08-29-2003 06:33 AM

Well this year will be the second one for my twin girls, they are 11, last year they, one at a time went gun hunting with me, this year if things go well I might take them bow hunting as well. They have helped me drag, dress, skin and butcher deer. The look in their eyes when things start happening is priceless, next year if they do well this year I will start them gun hunting.

formula1 08-29-2003 06:39 AM

I have three sons, Ages 18, 17, and 2.5. I haven' t taken my little one hunting yet, but he' s been in the woods helping me ' scout' . He points out the ' dweer twacks' all the time!!

I started taking my older ones when they were 4 years old. I let them start hunting after they passed the hunter safety course at age 9. They had to work a few more years passing Dad' s hunter safety course, but by age 12, they were both hunting in a stand on their own, albeit within shouting distance of me. Both got their first deer at age 13 and one got his first with a bow at age 14. Between the two of them, they have shot about 15 deer in their young lives. The best deer was a 100 class 8 point.

Even now when they have developed the interest in ' girls' , they still hunt and don' t want to miss it! One of them told his girlfriend that on Sept. 13th, he would be hunting, and that she would have to adjust to not seeing him as much. That' s what I call setting priorities!!!:D

gutshot 08-29-2003 06:47 AM

My little man is 4 1/2 and I' ve been taking him squirrel hunting since he was 2. I think that I' m going to try a bow hunt this year. If I can get him away from squirrel gravy and biscuits.

Deleted User 08-29-2003 07:08 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]