HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Who takes kids hunting w/them? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/36259-who-takes-kids-hunting-w-them.html)

Lady Arwen 08-28-2003 02:36 PM

Who takes kids hunting w/them?

We take our 4 year old hunting with us every year and I wondered how many other people did the same. I guess for us it may be different because mommy hunts too, so she can' t stay at home with me while daddy has all the fun! ;) This year she has expressed that she isn' t that thrilled to be hunting so I need some ideas on how to make it more appealing to her.

jsasker 08-28-2003 02:45 PM

RE: Who takes kids hunting w/them?

I' m taking my 7 year old son with me this year--i bought a ground blind so he doesn' t have to sit still and maybe will like it better than trying to " be a statue" .He is really wound up about it so we should have fun.

Lady Arwen 08-28-2003 02:54 PM

We' ve thought about a blind, but haven' t found an area where this would work. We take turns still hunting so she doesn' t have to sit still. I think she just has other things she would rather be doing and of course there is the gross out factor when we do get something down.

nselvis 08-28-2003 03:18 PM

Lady Arwen,
This is only my 4th year bow hunting. Last year, I took my daughter with me it the woods. I harvested my first deer with a bow with my little girl right next to me, 23 feet up an oak tree. She helped me track it, field dress it and then drag it out of the woods. On the drive home, she asked if she could come up the following week with me and my two brothers. Talk about your " Priceless" moments...

Lady Arwen 08-28-2003 03:44 PM

Congratulations on your first deer! You' re very lucky to have a daughter that wants to go hunting with you. I bet the both of you will remember that first experience always. I suppose some kids are just naturally more interested in hunting whether they be boy or girl. My hope is that as our daughter grows she will be more enthusiastic about the whole experience.

rebel wolf 08-28-2003 05:30 PM

I take my 9 year old son and 5 year old daughter whenever they want to journey with me....

kimndavid 08-28-2003 06:04 PM

:DI take my son (he' s 3 1/2). We usually don' t stay very long, as soon as he gets bored we get down and got to the truck. We hunt out of a 15' tower blind so he can move around a little bit. We usually bring a couple of toys and a coloring book, and some snacks. :D I don' t try to force it on him, he' s just happy being out in the woods with dad...probably not as happy as dad is though;)

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->

Mike from Texas 08-28-2003 06:31 PM

My daughters, now ages 14 & 10 have been hunting with me for years. My oldest killed her first deer last year. It was a nice mature fat doe. We had a small, young 4 point in front of the stand for over an hour, but I wouldn' t let her shoot it. She shot it perfectly at 153 yards. I was so proud words cannot explain. My 10 year old wants to try and take her first this year. My son turned 3 this year, but I think I' ll wait one more year before I take him, he' s still a little too hyper and gets bored and restless easily.

xibowhunter 08-28-2003 07:18 PM

i use to take my nephew starting when he was 8 or 9, now hes 19 now and lives far away anyway he lost interest when he discovered his magic friend ,lol !!!!! however if i had a kid to take i would!

Len in Maryland 08-28-2003 07:27 PM

My daughter (now 16) was 11 when she took her first deer. She has taken two shots and has 2 deer to her credit.

My son (now 12) was 10 when he took his first deer. He has taken several with a gun, several with a bow, and just recently, several with a crossbow. He tried the crossbow and is now back to his compound.

We hunted as a threesome for years out of a ground blind. Since my daughter is afraid of heights, we still use it for her. Best investment I ever made when they were younger. They could play around or lay down to take a nap if they got bored. Yes, we were caught by a lot of deer and didn' t get a shot; but, we still had a lot of fun and cherish those moments when we look at the pictures.;):)