Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arguments for/against flashlights and deer? >

Arguments for/against flashlights and deer?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arguments for/against flashlights and deer?

Old 08-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Arguments for/against flashlights and deer?

What do you think, I' m curious to know?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Arguments for/against flashlights and deer?

I' m full of opinions today so why stop now I do not use a flashlight going to or coming from my stand. I take it slow and easy try to remain undetected. Light can travel a long way and I don' t want to risk getting busted.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always take one with me but hardly use it. I have used my light to track deer after an evening hunt, but that is off the point and different.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:13 PM

If it all possible I try not to use a flashlight. I usually stop for about 10 to 15 minutes once I am about 100 yards from the truck to let my eyes adjust and allow my senses to sharpen. I find I make it much quiter to my stands if I stop for awhile once I am away from my truck as opposed to motoring straight to my stand. I usually can see decent as well.

But the occasional stick in the eye really sucks.....
Old 08-27-2003, 02:19 PM

I always use a flashlight to get to my stands. I use a mini mag light and hold my thumb over the end to block most of the light and only shine it on the ground right in front of me. I hunt alot with my brother who refuses to use a light. I have stopped and listened to him going in and he is very loud. I feel that the sound of sticks snapping carries alot farther then the little bit of light that I shine on the ground. I also find it much easier finding my stands so I dont get twisted up and end up walking all over the place. I would never use a big flashlight and just shine it all around but to each his own I guess...
Old 08-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-27-2003, 03:27 PM

I always carry but seldom use. If I have to use the light for some reason I also cup to disperse the light and cut down on the amount. I hunt generally in a well known area so I am very familiar with the territory. If I have to try a new area and are not so familiar I would probably be forced to use the light more.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:35 PM

I go in and come out of my stand in complete darkness. You must use a flashlight or you' ll run into trees, fall into a ditch, etc. In thick woods you must use a light to navigate. I point my light straight down and never out in front or side to side. Only exception is full moon, no light is necessary. I' ve never had any problems spooking deer. Most deer really aren' t that afraid of light. I' ve proved that statement many times while sitting on stand after sunset. Not hunting, just listening and watching.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:55 PM

has anybody thought to use the red light or green light that can be detected by deer.. i got me a rayovac hat-light that has red led lights, white led, and krypton bulb.. be using the red light on the way in and out
Old 08-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use one,or I would break my neck. I never seen any difference in the amount of deer I see ,just because of a flashlight at 4 am in the morning.

Quick Reply: Arguments for/against flashlights and deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.