Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 4 way battle of the " cheap"  broadheads >

4 way battle of the " cheap" broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

4 way battle of the " cheap" broadheads

Old 08-27-2003, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 4 way battle of the " cheap" broadheads

Here is a 4 way battle of the “less expensive broadheads. They are the Allan 100 and 125 grn 3 blade heads along with a Gametracker 4 blade 135 grn and the Satellite mag 100’s. You will notice that the Satellite mag did a good deal better than the ones I tested two years ago. It would seem that the quality has improved somewhat. As for the other three heads I think the results speak for themselves. You really do get what you pay for!

Allen Lightning 100 and 125 grain

Plywood 4 points
Steel drum 1 point
Tire 1 point
Cutting diameter 3 points
Accuracy 3 points
Blades 3 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total score 17 with a blade sharpness rating of C

These two heads are the worst fixed blade heads I have ever tested! The blades are very thin, weak, and dull. Out of 6 different heads in two weights, none of them would spin without wobble, and I mean none of them. Despite that, they did manage to group reasonably well at close range.
In the plywood the heads made it all the way through, but each had bent and cracked blades. In the tire the neither made it through, and both heads lost or broke blades. Forget about the steel drum! Suffice to say these heads lost blades. The ferules were bent much worse then when they came out of the packages, and they looked like pretzels!
These are some very cheaply constructed broadheads and I would not recommend them for anything, including small game! If you happen to pass by the archery department at wall mart and see them, do every bowhunter a favor and hide them in the petite section of the lady’s clothing. This way they won’t be found by some new unsuspecting hunter looking for a deal!

Game tracker Terminator 135

Plywood 2 points
Steel drum 1 point
Tire 1 point
Accuracy 3 points
Blades 4 points
Total score 16 with a blade sharpness rating of A

The Terminator is a replaceable, four blade broadhead distributed by Game Tracker. The weight is 135 grains. Overall this is really not a very good head. It doesn’t penetrate well, and the blades are easily broken or bent.
In the plywood the head stopped short of full penetration and it broke off 1 blade. In the tire the results were the same, only this time I lost two blades. In the steel drum the head penetrated the first side and broke two of the three blades.
Overall accuracy was decent, and the blade sharpness was excellent. I found this very surprising, especially considering the lack of quality in the rest of the head. I think there are much better broadheads for the money. These are not the worst broadheads I have tested, but they sure do come close! I am sure they will kill game, but I won’t be the one to try it out. For a few dollars more you can get a quality head that will perform very well.

Satellite mag 100grain test results
Accuracy 4 points
Plywood 5 points
Steel drum 3 points
Tire 4 points
Blades 3 points
Total score 24 with a blade sharpness rating of B

Well I am glad I got the chance to re-test this head. In my first go around several years ago I had big problems with the blades falling out. The new pack of heads I tested are much better..
In the plywood the satellite mag penetrated completely and without damage. In the tire the head penetrated the first side with several inches of arrow shaft, again there was no damage. In the steel drum the satellite penetrated the first side with the tip sticking in the far wall. One blade did fall out, while the other two were still intact.
Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the improvements made to this head. In my first run of tests I lost blades in the plywood, tire and steel drum. As you can see the new heads are much better in performance, and the price isn’t bad either. The blades are sharp, the accuracy is good, and the head is reasonably durable. While still not my first choice in a replaceable blade broadhead, I consider it a pretty good head, and one that should perform well on game.

Old 08-27-2003, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 4 way battle of the " cheap" broadheads

Well, I am glad I do not normally buy those inexpensive heads.

Now, how about a comparison between the " cheap" expandable heads too?

Ever since I had that Silvertip disintegrate on me last season I have been itchin' to see if it was a rariety or just because of their quality level.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you happen to pass by the archery department at wall mart and see them, do every bowhunter a favor and hide them in the petite section of the lady’s clothing. This way they won’t be found by some new unsuspecting hunter looking for a deal!
ROTFLMAO!

I felt the same way about the Allen shooting glove I tried out.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

If you happen to pass by the archery department at wall mart and see them, do every bowhunter a favor and hide them in the petite section of the lady’s clothing. This way they won’t be found by some new unsuspecting hunter looking for a deal!
Don' t bet on it! With all the posts I' ve seen about using your daughter' s, grand-daughter' s, wife' s, girlfriend' s, and lady down the street' s bloody used tampons....I' m begining to wonder where some of these guys spend their spare time. Following women around the petite clothing section of Wal-Mart might not be too far off.[]
Old 08-27-2003, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I figured you all would like that one! Frank it' s comming, but I have a penetration test coming up with low Ke setups, testing heads for women and young archers. After this one I will look into the " cheap" mechanical test.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Darn, I missed that comment about hiding the heads....but it sounds like a good idea. I will do just that when I go to pick up my game cam tomorrow.

Thanks Chris...I would love to see it. Let me know if you need any further samples.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]