Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Help choosing binos >

Help choosing binos

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help choosing binos

Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help choosing binos

Once there was a discussion here covering the technicalities of binoculars. It talked about ideal magnification, ideal lens size, and exit pupil science. All the what's and why's. If someone knows anything about these subjects, I'd appreciate your input.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am by no means an expert on this topic but I have used binos for a long time. First thing you need to know is where are you going to be using them and how. 7x35 are fine for whitetails and elk in timber. For archery hunting where I can't see farther than 75-100 yds I use a little pair of 9x25s. Great for putting in my pocket. Bigger timber I would go with the 7x35s. When I hunt out west for mulies, I like 10x42s. I rely on my guide to carry 10x50s and a spotting scope.
If you're going to be hunting antelope and glassing from a vehicle 10x50s. There are also some zoom binos out there that you may like.
There are pros and cons with binos as with everything else. Do you want bigger objectives with better light gathering or smaller more compact objectives? Do you want higher magnification or will 7x be sufficient? I think its all personal. As for brands, for moderately prices binos, Nikon is good quality. My 10x42s are Celestron (really clear and inexpensive). My guide for mulies even commented on how nice they were - and he was carry Leicas.
And today with the new technology, you can even get your binos with a built in rangefinder. Eliminating the need to carry/buy 2 things.
IMO both a range finder and binos are an essential part of hunting. And they are also largely subject to personal choice.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-19-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be using it for glassing fields while preseason scouting as well as up in the tree bowhunting whitetail deer in medium to dense woods. In other words, fields- up to 400yds. Woods- less than 100
Old 02-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO for what you are going to be using them for, then just about any will do. Its not like you are going to be 'glassing' for several hours at a time like on a western hunt. You are basically going to be using them to evaluate game at relatively close distances. And you don't have to worry about carrying them. You can hang them up in your stand. I would bet a nice 10x42 would do you well.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either 8X42 or 10X42 will do the job just fine for what you intend to use them for. Just don't get a dirt cheap pair...performance is definitely sub-par.