Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 08-21-2003, 09:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Whats wrong with the BTR system?

I think you are right on many counts Bow! Actually when I try to score a big buck in the field, I don' t actually score him. If the rack contains good mass, has long tines and you just know he is a mature buck....I automatically register him as a " class" buck. But I do admit to liking the air between the left and right side.

I imagine if Pope and Young/Boone and Crockett had come up with this scoring system, it would be what we use and more widely accepted.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you answered your own question: Jackie Bushman[:@]!!! While he has done lots of good for the sport and helped with food for the hungry, very few hunters have much faith in him or his creditabilty. Sure the guys new to the sport think he is alright but once they are in and start learning he loses luster.

I can' t stand to watch the show anymore rather change the channel and watch some basket weaving. If they changed the name and some one that was well respected in the industry took it on you would maybe see a rise. However as long as buckmaster is associated that equal Mr. JB and it will never fly. Buy any vaccums lately[]??? Just an example of how The Buckmaster has dwindled his loyal supporters[:' (][:' (]!
Old 08-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are positives and negatives in each scoring system.

There is an interesting article in the October issue of ' Deer and Deer Hunting' written by Larry Huffman a high profile antler collector. He compiled and one time owned the " Legendary Whitetails Collection" that toured the country. What I find interesting are some of his comments concerning antlers. One of the things he mentions that affects the price of antlers is the spread. A large spread is more valuable...Why? Because that is what a majority of people like, it usually enhances the looks of the deer.

I know the BTR system takes a slap at P&Y and B&C when they say all they are measuring is air. In reality I think it shows the wisdom of the scoring system. When a person tells me they killed a 145 inch P&Y buck I can picture it in my head a whole lot easier than 125 inch BTR score. It becomes more than just a number, I can visuallize the general shape.

I don' t let deductions bother me, I accept it as part of the character of the rack. I have one buck on the wall that grosses officially 146.5, he only nets 126.5, yes that is twenty inches of deductions, no big deal. Another 137 nets only 126. I can' t even tell you how many 125+ bucks that I have but have been knocked out of P&Y contention due to deductions, again not a big deal. I thought they were cool or I wouldn' t have dropped the string on them.

I wouldn' t ' dis' anything in the BTR book either however. It takes a lot of " bone" to make up for the " air" that is not being measured. I do think your right though. When the organization behind the system is not rock solid, it causes problems.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I don' t worry about those systems BTR and P & Y or Boone and Crockett. I worry about the PETA test.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:58 AM

BTR is the greatest system yet in my opinion.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:53 AM

When you tells someone you shot a " book" 10 pointer - their first questtion usually is what did he score. Their second question is usually what was his inside spread.

The widest buck is P&Y in Texas is in one of my best friend living rooms. 27 5/8 inside. It only scored net in the 130' s - grossed in the upper 140' s - but truly a magnificent animal.

GIve me air lots of air and a starry sky above
Old 08-24-2003, 08:43 PM

The BTR system is just a good honest score of what nature put on the deer' s head without any deductions.[8D]
Old 08-25-2003, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I don' t like the whole deduction thing. Symmetry is nice, but it shouldn' t be the greatest part of the rack. I feel the same about the spread.....it' s nice to see a wide rack, but can take away from the rack too. Example: If I shot an 8 point that was 21" inside you' d probably agree that it was a decent buck, right? Then I show you that rack with 3" G2' s and 2" G3' s and brows that hardly score. What do you think now? This hypethetical buck wouldn' t score well in either system, but you get my point.

Is a drop tine a deduction if there is only one? That would mean that no matter how symmetrical the rack is up top, it' s got deductions for a characteristic that a lot of people find pleasing.