Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting NON ideal conditions? >

Hunting NON ideal conditions?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting NON ideal conditions?

Old 08-21-2003, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting NON ideal conditions?

We all don' t have unlimited time and/or stand locations, so what do you do when conditions aren' t " right" to hunt the place you' ve chosen? Staying home is not an option.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Hunting NON ideal conditions?

By not being right, do you mean the wind will not be in your favor? I have a favorite place that I can only hunt when the wind is from the east and the south, if its primarily out of the north or west.....I stay away, I stay away and hunt elsewhere.

If you mean by rain, I hunt in light rain and any conditions during the rut.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:01 AM
nub

I have too many stands in the woods for it not to be right someplace.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wimp I have never been in that spot, but when I find a really good spot I try if possible to have 2 stands to cover shifts in the wind. I am lucky because I do have enough places to set up on depending on the wind.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea mostly I' m talking wind direction. I swear I hunt the oddest wind location on the planet, it is a continual swirl and shift. You think its bad for deer hunting, try calling foxes, where it is just as critical if not more with a shifting wind. All these years I' ve never played the wind cause it was always goofy and always changing, I still shoot lots of deer, but never a big one. There' s not many big ones in the area to begin with, but I' m just trying to up my chances.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:51 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Try a ground blind. You can move them to suit the wind conditions. You can also pile ground clutter around the bottom of the blind on the inside and it will contain your scent very well. May be a good option in swirling wind.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Get a climber for these circumstances wimp. I keep mine in my truck in case of non ideal conditions....
Old 08-21-2003, 01:38 PM
Dominant Buck

There is no such thing as totally bust wind direction. I have a climber, hang on, ladders etc.... somewhere in that woods is a tree for me. Get higher if it' s swirling. If you have one particular spot that really offers something special.... WAIT for a time it' s right. Your first time or two in are the best so make the most of them.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:44 PM

I don' t bowhunt when the temperature hits the teens because it' s just not fun anymore and besides, I' ve usually tagged out by then, anyway.

I also don' t hunt in the rain. The only deer I ever lost I shot less than 2 minutes before I got drenched with a downpour that completely eradicated any hope of a trail. Never again.

Other than that, I don' t care. When worse comes to worse, there' s always stillhunting.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:44 PM

I am more like " wimp" I hunt when ever and were ever...
I rember during the fall ride in Tomahawk, WI i got a chance to go out to one of my old huants. About 50 yards off the main road and a nice field. The Niceest buck came out and the hole scent thing in front of me (about 50 yards off). Here I am standing in an old norway pine with blue jeans and a tee shirt. If wasnot for the harley turning in the road. I would have bagged the biggest buck of my life.
I have shot at a deer in the rain with youngest boy on my shoulders.
So I have done well in the highest presurred areas by patterning the people out there with me. I don' t care how cold or hot any day in the woods is better then work....I have taken my kids out with there home work...what ever i need to to hunt!!! The biggest piece of advice I could give is cover your face the deer pick out eyeballs and that " white" face. Just hunt and have fun.
thanks
ps enjoy those sunsets.....

Quick Reply: Hunting NON ideal conditions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.