Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

80% Letoff

Old 08-20-2003, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default 80% Letoff

I am looking at the Mathews LX, or Bowtech with 80% letoff. Anyone know what states don' t alow the use of 80% letoff? To many years of Deep Sea Diving have destroyed my shoulders. Any personal preference with either of the bows?
Old 08-21-2003, 12:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 80% Letoff

Capt Ray, 80% letoff is liable to cause your shoulders more problems than you think, especially with the cams on most of these new bows. You pull peak weight for a long ways and then you' ve got a sudden drop into the letoff. My shoulders are cratered and I found out real quick that those kinds of bows are flat PAINFUL to shoot, especially when you get a little too antsy to get the bow drawn and forget to baby the draw into the letoff. Then on the release, you feel the cam(s) roll back over and get to go through the pain all over again. It' s not good for your accuracy, enjoyment OR your shoulders.

I' d recommend something more along the lines of the Hoyt Accuwheel or Martin Fury cam in 65% letoff and using a relatively light draw weight. Both have a gradual buildup to peak weight and a much more gradual drop into the letoff. Something like that won' t be the fastest bow on the planet, by a long shot, but it' ll keep you shooting as pain free as possible and enjoying it more. A 50 pound compound will kill a deer every bit as dead as a 70 pounder, just not as far or fast.

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Good point. Right now I' m shooting a Hoyt Magna Tec at 28.5" , 60 lbs. I think I will look into some 50lb limbs. Your right, dead is dead.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:39 AM

Capt, check out the Conquest 3. You can get it with a 60% letoff " super soft" cam. I have not tried this bow but if it pulls smoother than my LX it would be a dream. Another one to check out is the sportsman it has no let off but is a dream to pull back. I have shot the sportsman and it is quite a unique bow. I think that guys with shoulder problems may enjoy the smoothness. Just a suggestion.

Good luck. I hate to see something like a shoulder injury keep the Capt' n from makein' it Happen!