Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need your help!!! >

Need your help!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need your help!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Both companies are good reputable bow producers. I have worked in bow shops for the last 15 years and I would agree with the advice others have offered. Don't get stuck on a name brand, draw and shoot some options for bows and buy what feels comfortable to you. IBO ratings are so each company has to compare apples to apples. The bows have to be shot at 70 pounds, 30 inch draw length and a 350 grain arrow. Unfortunately most people do not shoot this long of a draw length or light of an arrow so they experience a significant less arrow speed. Also, anything added to the string for accesories will also slow down the bow. As far as the zip ties go, if they do not have a place for you to shoot then they are afraid of a dry fire. At the shop I work at now, we have had 2 bows blow apart this fall by customers who claimed they were experienced archer and ended up dry firing the bows. Different bows have different draw cycles and some might not be prepared for it and string slips out of fingers and results in bow hanging in pieces and possibly an injured customer that now wants to sue you for their mistake.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ckeifer
How much should I buy into the IBO on these bows?

My 2012 Bear Encounter is rated 310 fps “IBO”.
That’s based on 70lbs. pull, 350 grain arrow, 30 inch draw, point blank Chrony.
“AMO” rating would likely be about 240-242 fps. That’s based on 60lbs. pull, 455 grain arrow, 30 inch draw, point blank Chrony.
I’m shooting 66lbs. pull, 565-570 grain arrow (33”), 32 inch draw (+.75” Dloop and Peep on the string), point blank Chrony – 237-238 fps
At 12 yds down range still @ 233-234 fps, 68.73 ft Lbs of Kinetic energy at that point. That’s plenty for the largest NA game. If I ever hunt Kodiac, I’ll Crank it up a few pounds. I’m happy with that.
I'm pretty sure that if I cranked it up to 70, set the draw at 30" and shot a 350 grain arrow out of it, She'd Chrony right about 310. I couldn't hunt with it though.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

I would go elsewhere.
Find a place that let's you shoot their bows.
Its not a matter of which bow is best,
Both good bows.
But a matter of which feels best to you.