Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Gonna start bow hunting next season >

Gonna start bow hunting next season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gonna start bow hunting next season

Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Spike

Default Gonna start bow hunting next season

Like the title says, I am going to start bow hunting next season but wanted to get some opinions before i get into it.

First of all I have a decent background in archery. When i was younger i shot competitively and did fairly well. However, I haven't shot much in the last few years and have never taken a bow hunting.

I just started hunting with a rifle a few seasons ago and love it. I absolutely love the feeling of being out in the woods stalking a deer and harvesting it.

Fast forward to Christmas this year and because of the warm weather my dad and i decided to take our bows out and shoot a little bit just for fun and old times sake. Instantly my love for archery was rekindled and i knew that next year i would have my bow with me in the woods.

My questions are about the set up that i used to shoot with and whether or not it will fit my needs. Like i said i shot when i was younger, I used a Mathews MQ32 in my tournament shooting. Its a great bow and i am super confident with it. its small and light which i like because i prefer to walk in the woods while hunting and try to get as close to the deer as possible. The last two deer i took were within 30 yards and one was only about fifteen. If i recall correctly the MQ was chrono'd at about 230fps. I know that bows now shoot much faster than that, will my bow perform well enough to cleanly take an animal? I'm sure i can squeeze a little more by kicking up the poundage from where i shot it in a tourny setting. But want to be sure.

Another question i have is about larger game. I'm pretty sure the MQ will do fine with deer but in about a years time i will be moving to Montana and would love to hunt mulies and elk. Will this bow perform well enough to harvest one of those animals?

My dad has quite a few bows and i'm sure that if the MQ isn't sufficient that i can purchase one of his "extras" from him but he is the kind of guy where it would be better that i know what i'm talking about before I go asking all these favors of him if that makes sense.

Sorry for the long first post and thanks to everyone who responds.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

JF, I do not see any reason why your 230fps bow would not easily kill a deer, elk or bear. Remember, archers were, and still are killing these animals with recurves that rarely exceed 200 fps. If you're confident with it all you need is a nice razor sharp fixed blade cut on contact broadhead and you will be good to go. Remember, a fast bow that you cant shoot well would just mean you miss faster! My recommendation for BH would be a Magnus Stinger or Muzzy Phanthom or similar. And with your set up, I would suggest using the heaviest, properly spined arrow that your bow can accurately shoot.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply bronko. What are your thoughts on carbon v aluminum? I've been out of the loop for a while but i know carbon arrows are lighter than aluminum should i try aluminum?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

That would be a personal preference. Switching to carbons you can shed up to 100 grains in weight which would give you about 20 fps more or less (based on the average of 1 fps per every 5 grs). You would have to find out what speed you are getting with the alum vs carbon.
There are pros and cons with both types. Alum are heavier thus more energy. Carbons recover faster from oscilation and all else being equal, have better flight characteristics. But KE is not the only factor to consider. Without being accurate with the numbers a slower moving heavier arrow will normally give you more penetration than a lighter, faster moving arrow even though the KE is the same provided the resistance is the same.
Recommended Arrow Energy For Bow Hunting25 ft. lbs. Small Game
25-41 ft. lbs. Medium Game (Deer, Antelope)
42-65 ft. lbs. Large Game (Elk, Black Bear, Wild Boar)
65 ft. lbs. Toughest Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly)
KINETIC ENERGY FORMULA

KE=(mv²)/450240
m= weight of arrow in grains; v=velocity in fps

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-18-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Spike

Thanks for the help bronko.

No other opinions? I was hoping someone would have some experience with the bow beyond my own. Any info would be helpful.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

KE= (m(vxv))/450240:
Arrow weight 8.3gr per inch at 29" (plus 35 gr for insert, nock and vanes and 100 gr tip)= 375gr
Velocity 230 ; 230 x 230 = 52900
375 x 52900 / 450240 = 44 ftlb energy

So you should be in great shape.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome back to archery. It sounds like you and I are in a similar predicament only mine is with muzzleloaders. That is how I recently got started on the hunting net because I had not shot a muzzleloader for quit a few years and wanted to get caught back up. As far as the archery goes, I have been into that for over 20 years and have been working in bow shops part time for near as long. I also moved from eastern Iowa to Montana about 20 years ago and have hunted the elusive elk the whole time. Now in regards to your question, yes your bow can kill an elk,BUT.......you must know your and its limitations. The energy they claim is needed for a particular animal is for a well placed, broadside shot without hitting bone. Any arrow that has bone contact now needs more energy to keep going. Also, carbons will be more durable, smaller so less resistance going through animal and do not cost much more than aluminums. I am not trying to discourage from using your current bow but to encourage you to know the limitations. If you are serious about hunting Montana then I would suggest looking at a higher poundage bow if you can handle it. Remember that a rifle caliber that is recommended for deer is always smaller than one you would see recommended for elk.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

yer good..make sure yer practicing with the broadhead you plan on hunting with, wearing the gear you plan on wearing, sittin in the chair ya plan on huntin out of. dont forget the hat. stay inside 20 yards. dont be a clown and take a less than perfect shot. get a range finder...USE IT!!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Spike

Thanks again to everyone.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Spike

Can't add a thing to What the experts have already told you. Just Have Fun with it. You're good to go. Bow season, mid fall, just before gun season starts in Ohio, Is the absolute best time to be in the woods. Beautiful.