Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Help me kill this "island buck" >

Help me kill this "island buck"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me kill this "island buck"

Old 01-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help me kill this "island buck"

Late season scouting last week and I find a one acre island that's 75% surrounded by cattails and a moat. The island is domed and there is evidence(rubs, bed, droppings) that a buck resides(ed) there. At the top of this domed island, you can see 50 to 200 yards in all directions... Good safe place for a buck to camp and see danger coming from all 360 degrees.

Anyway, I thought that I could set up at the south end of the island which comes to a point and have someone slowly push the buck from the north creating a shot for me. However, the only tree big enough for me to climb near the south pinch point is a mere 50yds from the top of the island where he beds. I would need snow to dampen my footsteps upon entry not to mention an accomplice.

So, I decided to find a tree within bow range of his bed and trimmed a shooting lane. I plan to sneak in there before he returns to bed in the morning then kill him when the sun comes up. My tree is 10yds west of his bed. And from his bed there are 2 fairly worn trails going south and southwest. What do you guys think and what tips could you offer?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

if you have any sneak a trail cam in there somewhere...if snow is on the ground maybe cut his is tracks and find out where he is coming and going..sounds like a cool spot..good luck
Old 01-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately, there hasn't been any real snow here in Wisconsin until just the other day. But even if there was snow, I don't think I would find much tracks because I think this was a warmer weather bed. It's pretty open to the elements so now that the temps are dropping, the buck likely has moved out of the area.

And about the trail cam, I would love to see him on film but at the same time I don't want to keep going back and forth to retrieve pix and constantly giving him clues that I have been there.

Thanks for the reply!