Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Entering Canada with a misdemeanor? >

Entering Canada with a misdemeanor?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Entering Canada with a misdemeanor?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn
LI archer's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eastern Long Island,NY
Posts: 123

afew years ago I went up to Canada snowmobiling. we had like 8 trucks in all. one of the guys had stolen a car radio when he was a kid. canadian border agents would not let him in! he had to go (forget where) a bank or the counsulate and pay a fee?? and get a notorized? type letter from that place to give to the boarder gaurds so he could cross.. and he stole that radio Many,Many years prior...
LI archer is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 AM
wareaglecj's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 37

I don't necessarily agree with their policy, but kudos to Canada for checking people entering their country at the border. Imagine if we did the same... They have every right to check every foreigner and only allow entry to those they deem worthy. Yes, 10 years without a dui is harsh, but its their country and to enter is a priviledge, not a right.
wareaglecj is offline  
Old 01-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 265

i personally have been thrue this. for dui. there is a process you can do to get what they call a 30 day stay. i did this about 12 years ago for my sisters wedding reception that was on the canadian side of the border. back then it was 140.00 for this. we went right to the border and took care of it there ahead of time. there also is the parden process. when i looked into it it was 200.00-1000.00 with no garuntee of a parden. also it does not matter how many years ago the conviction was. if they stop you and check,they can deny entrance at anytime. i was told that if i try to get into canada and they catch me i go straight to jail,because im considered a felon in canada. wich is great since im not a felon in the usa.
bighorns35 is offline  
Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn
Uncle Nicky's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 470

You'll need a passport for sure.

If you bring a rifle (which you aren't), they will ask you to come inside the building and fill out declaration forms, that's when they will run a background check and no doubt uncover the DUI. Best thing to do is be honest with them. If the DUI was more than 10 years old, they'll probably just let you in, or pay $200 for a "pass".

If you're just entering their country to fish or bowhunt, in all likelihood they'll wave you through. It often depends on the particular crossing guard & their mood that day.

Good luck!
Uncle Nicky is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.