Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
consistently killing big bucks first week of bow season >

consistently killing big bucks first week of bow season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

consistently killing big bucks first week of bow season

Old 12-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Spike

Default consistently killing big bucks first week of bow season

Alright folks got a question for you bow hunting guru's. Im From georgia and have a bow but do not hunt with it much because of the heat in sept. But iv been told im missing a good opportunity. Big bow hunters told me the first week of bow season is the best time to kill a big buck due to the fact they are still on there summer feeding patterns. You have all summer to figure out those bachelor groups. whether its a food souse such as corn or soy beans or water. They use there trail cam all summer and know where and when the big boys will be there. Then you get 20 yards to 30 yards away and wait. Do you guys find this true?? seems to easy but ive heard it from a ton of different people. All answers are welcome and i thank you in advance!!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

It's true in some cases, If you can find a big buck and pattern him on the summer schedule it works for sure, but many times up here in wisconsin they start to change their behavior and routines right around the start of the season or even before it.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

First off, and we would all agree, any time is the best time to kill a big buck. However, IMO there are 2 easier times to do it. First is like you mentioned. Right in the begining of the season and for the reasons you mentioned. The second is during the rut. This is when the big boys slip out of their nocturnal patterns from earlier hunting pressure in pursuit of breedable does. During this stage it pays to be in your stand all day. You never know when that big boy will be chasing right past you.
It is also pretty common to shoot a buck the first time a stand is hunted provided the wind is right and you get in undetected.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default True?

I can't remember the last time I "had" to gun hunt. I'm usually tagged out 1st week of NOV. It started getting tougher with our youth hunt and early doe hunts that now start in SEP. The reason why they use a youth hunt in SEP, is the opportunity for a youngster to shoot a buck. Now this doesn't bode well for me because of the noise and stink from all their activity alerts the deer to "Game on". It used to be nice though.