Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 story with a question >

story with a question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

story with a question

Old 08-19-2003, 09:35 AM

Default story with a question

Here' s you all a story with a question at the end it' s a little long but I' m pretty PO' ed [:@]

Last year deer hunting I only seen 7 deer in eight week' s four bucks three does and I hunted every morning and every evening, usually at this spot I see at lest two deer
a day

But last year every time I set up next to the west fence line I keep hearing this thing that sounded like a garage door opener every morning and when I did hunt all day I heard it go off five times during the day. I thought I know what it was but couldn' t say because I hadn' t seen it tell yesterday when the guy I hunt on cow' s got out and I help hem get them up didn' t know where the cow' s were at so I had to go looking for them so when I was at it I went up by where I had heard that at and there was [:' (] a big feeder and a big deluxe latter stand 30 yards away.[:@]

Last rifle season I heard several shots a day by it and turkey I heard five shots there.[:@]

So how do would you guy' s go about competing with a corn feeder ? it' s the only close place I got to hunt so I' m going to have to compete with it any thought' s on how to do it ?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:50 AM

Default RE: story with a question

Eather set up by him and cut off the deer before they get to the feeder or you put one up with better food than him.Deer cant resist horse oats. Also during the rut bucks care more about getting layed than food, put the inheat scent out.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:09 AM

I think the problem is more in the fact that you are huntign the same spot all season - thats a sure way to kill a spot and go home empty.

I like bullsi' s sugestion of cutting them off on the way to the feeder - but again if its just one stand yuo are in the same situation.

And that feeder is far from the deers only diet - they are not all just sitting around it - in fact if guys are using it often you can bet the bucks are coming in only at dark.

My advise - forget about it - set up as many stands as you can - and don' t hunt the same stand more than once or twice a week.

Good Luck
Old 08-19-2003, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Write down the times the feeder' s set to go off. The deer get accustomed to it and will start showing up about 10 minutes beforehand so they can rush it when it starts dropping corn and get their share. You be set up over one of the trails.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rack Attack said it all.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:22 AM

Find the trail taken, Set up on it, and shoot his deer. I guarantee deer are traveling on your hunting boundries, just find them. USe that as a resource, just look at it this was an attractant w/ out buying it. Make the best out of this situation, and by golly it can be real good.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I definetly agree with rack attack. Good solid advice!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:56 PM

First off I can' t put up a feeder when I' m hunting.

second I ain' t hunting the spot any harder then any of the other years I' ve hunted in there. it' s 80 acres with 25 wooded no brush all open woods and I got 8 stands up + a climber

Far as food just acorn' s hay fields and that corn is all I know about, there wasn' t much sine of any deer feeding on the property where I was hunting at there were white oak acorn all over the place that they never even touched.

There' s no paths cut in the dirt around here for trail' s
rub lines usually ain' t over three rubs long and the only place you can count on deer to wonder in to one place is a fence crossing. and that where I was last bow season when I killed my 8 point he was coming from the corn one morning and I killed my doe going to it one morning.

wind' s bad for getting sent in to the area.

All the deer I killed off the place but four came from this one wooded corner the deer use to cut through that one corner all the time but the way the feeder is located if they go by it. even if bucks come close enough to scent check the area with the corn I' m out of luck.

Finding another place around here to hunt would be like falling from your stand and ripping your scrotum in two and saying that felt good I thank I' ll do it again.....
NOT likely to happen because either it' s least or the people hunt or some bunny hugger owns the land.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:06 PM

find where the deer are turning off the main trail to your stand to go to his feeder. follow it up a ways then hide a couple pairs of your sweaty skid marked underwear around there.

with any luck they will change their route to the feeder and offer you a shot.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:21 AM

When I hunted East TX there were tons of acorns on the ground. The deer would walk past a pile of corn to get to a few acorns.

Quick Reply: story with a question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.