Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody from Council Bluff,Ia. area >

Anybody from Council Bluff,Ia. area

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody from Council Bluff,Ia. area

Old 08-18-2003, 06:49 PM

Default Anybody from Council Bluff,Ia. area

just getting back in to bowhunting again and new to area looking for some hunting ground can anyone tell me where to start looking
Old 08-19-2003, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anybody from Council Bluff,Ia. area

Yup, I' m from around here. My best advise is to find an area you want to hunt, make up some business cards with your information on them...include your vehicle information and then start knocking on doors. The farther you get away from the metro area, the better luck you' ll have. There are quite a few public hunting areas around and you could scout those out, then carry in a climbing stand and hunt from it. Iowa law does not permit any type of steps or stands that hurt the trees. ie. no screw in tree steps and no nails.

Another thing I used to do before acquiring my own land was to take a couple weekends during harvest season and help the farmer out by pulling wagons, feeding stock, or if you can...driving a tractor for him. During this time of the season they need all the help they can get. And finally there is always leasing ground, which seems to be gaining popularity in these days of the dollar.[:' (]

Hope this helps you some.

Luck,
Bob
Old 08-19-2003, 08:18 AM
Spike

Default RE: Anybody from Council Bluff,Ia. area

I hunt that area.

Bob has some good advice. You might also check out the Desoto Bend area. I' ve seen a lot of guys out there on the way to my stand. I honestly don' t know if it' s open or if you have to draw to get to hunt out there. There are some very big deer along that river bottom. You might also check out the public land.

If you' re not one, become a member of the Iowa Bowhunters Association. Also, spend some time at the archery shops to see if you can make some contacts there.