Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What do you think >

What do you think

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you think

Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default What do you think

Saturday I made a bad shot on a doe and got her through the guts. It took 5 hours before I found her almost a half mile away.
It was close to 40 degrees when I shot her and almost 80 degrees when I found her. Buzzards had already started working on her and the flies and yellow jackets were all over her. Do you think the meat was spoiled or should I have tried to salvage some of it.
I have hunted long enough to realize that losing a deer is sometimes part of bowhunting but sure doesn't make me feel any better.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Dont think that temperature is as important as the stomach juice. If the guts were spilled inside then it will change the taste. At least you worked hard to find her. Good job and get another tag would be my suggestion.