Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting with an older bow... >

Hunting with an older bow...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting with an older bow...

Old 11-30-2011, 03:47 AM
Spike

Thumbs up Hunting with an older bow...

Just wondering how many of you bowhunter's bowhunt with an older model bow?? I got an 1997 maybe 98 High Country Extreme.Guess these older bows killed deer back then it still can now!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Not an old one....but I have a fairly new recurve that sees some action.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot a Mountaineer, it's from the early 90s...Still shoot fingers, aluminum arrows, feathers, no peep and 125 Thunderheads...

Guess that's what OF do...
Old 11-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Years ago, people killed deer just fine with flint arrowheads and a bow strung with a strip of hide. Doesn't mean I have to use that today.

FWIW, I upgraded from a 15-year old bow last year. Not because I had to, but because I wanted to. And I really like the new bow better, for whatever it's worth (faster, more consistent shooting, better feel, etc).
Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

I myself still use the first bow i ever bought it is an xi impact.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Spike

i have a newer hoyt katera that i hunt w but my dad use to shoot a real old bow and could out shoot me any day of the week, so i dont think the bow makes the shooter good its all about pratice and skill
Old 12-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although I don't own or shoot them any more I killed a lot of deer with compounds from the 70's. You know. Those 190-200 fps, 20% letoff wonders of their day. Funnuy how a 50# bow from that era killed 'em just as dead as these newer 70# things people think they need today.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Although I don't own or shoot them any more I killed a lot of deer with compounds from the 70's. You know. Those 190-200 fps, 20% letoff wonders of their day. Funnuy how a 50# bow from that era killed 'em just as dead as these newer 70# things people think they need want today.
Fixed that for ya. Not sure why some people feel compelled to look down on someone for wanting an improved product. I don't look down on old farts wanting to stick with their antiques either. Live and let live. I could still kill deer with my 15+ year old bow, but I choose not to. Am I an inferior bow hunter because I - gasp - decided to purchase a newer model?